Minimum dimensions for a dorm fridge? Height problem with project.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madsucktion

Reaction score
Project this is for: Putting a Keggerator inside an MAME arcade cabinet.

I've got it into my head that combining the two could be pretty awesome, mostly because having the ability to play your game of choice (Golden Tee, Mortal Kombat 2, Bad Dudes) and getting a beer from the side of the machine sounds like heaven to the nerd in me. In order to do this though I need to get what could be the smallest compact refrigerator in order to fit it in the cabinet itself.

From what I've seen browsing on the forums, the hight of it would be my main problem. I want to fit at least 1, preferably 2 Corney kegs in the fridge itself. I can probably keep the CO2 on the outside of the machine mounted to the side. Keep in mind that I'm perfectly happy just having space for one, but if height is the problem and not width / length then fitting two shouldn't be a horrible problem.

So basically, what is the smallest dimension fridge I could get to hold a keg? There are so many recommended types of fridges, but they all seem to not have a strict height requirement (which I am definitely going to have).

Thanks for the help!

A 5 gallon ball lock keg needs 27" of height, not counting your disconnects. So, 28.5" should cut it, just barely though.

A 5 gallon ball lock keg needs 27" of height, not counting your disconnects. So, 28.5" should cut it, just barely though.

Are you sure about the 27"?? The diagrams of corny kegs I've seen have them at around 23-24".

I'm worried cause I just modified my mini fridge and the height is only 28.25".

Yeah but you have to include the height of the disconnects, which extend 2-3 inches off the top. I would measure mine, but I have pin locks.

Yeah but you have to include the height of the disconnects, which extend 2-3 inches off the top. I would measure mine, but I have pin locks.

Malkore stated 27" without disconnects, 28.5" with. Diagrams states 23-24", which will put it around 24.5-25.5" with disconnects. Almost a 3" difference.

If it really is 28.5" I am screwed cause that's the inside height of the fridge that I converted.

Do you have ball or pin lock kegs? They have different dimensions. Pin locks are wider and shorter, ball locks are taller and thinner.

Just happened to have all three sitting here.
Gas Disco
Ball Lock
Tape measure

Your fridge should be fine.

If all else fails, you could make the whole bottom of the cabinet a fridge. Gut and cut the fridge you have and just use the coils in the base of the MAIM.

Great idea btw.

B

photo-11.JPG

So, from your picture it looks like around 26" is the magic number. I'm planning on posting to blog the build history of the cabinet and keggerator (pictures, mistakes and all). I'll link it here once I get it going if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back