Minimum amount in an Ale Pale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrellD

Reaction score
After 2 years of extract, I would like to go to biab. I have seen people on here making 3 gallon batches, to much for my Mr. Beer LBK. So the question is what is the minimum amount of wort you can safely ferment in a 6.5 gallon bucket?

Thannks.

I wouldn't do less than about 4.5 gallons. Too much headspace is bad for multiple reasons, but some people here will fill the headspace with things like marbles (sanitized of course) if they're making a smaller batch. Anything that you can sanitize and add to fill up space should be fine.

Headspace isn't really an issue in primary. The CO2 produced during active fermentation is going to push any O2 out of the bucket and keep it out. Secondary, for those who utilize it, is where it becomes a concern.

I'd actually, personally, feel comfortable going down to 2.5 gallons as long as the beer wasn't going to be sitting in the bucket for an usually long time. Fermentation will fill the headspace with CO2 and will more or less stay in there if you're not opening the bucket up prior to bottling.

Latest posts

Back