minimizing oxydation for multiple dry hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elburrogrande

Reaction score
Just an idea I had and I am not sure it will work but I figured it was worth the try. I saved a quart of the wort as it came to a boil and instead of adding my corn sugar to the boil like normal, I dissolved it in the saved wort. I saved it in the fridge, and added it to the fermenter on day 5 of fermentation. Ill be adding the second dry hop schedule 2 day later. I am hoping that by extending fermentation, I can minimize oxidation. Think this works? any problems with adding dextrose to the fermenter as opposed to the boil? Im using about 7oz of hops

On the whole I think it'll have some net positive effect, though tbh the idea of adding five day old unpitched wort gives me pause. You probably could have done the same thing using your planned CS addition in a small boiled and cooled solution.

Anyway, assuming nothing untoward results there will be some CO2 evolved to cut down the O2 content in the head space, which could be helpful for whole leaf additions that are no longer considered Nitrogen flushed. Otoh, if you're using pellets, I'd be inclined to consider this plan to be over-thought ;)

Cheers!

Couldn't you boil and cook the wort/dextrose solution immediately before pitching? Curious to hear how this goes. I'm also looking for any little way to prevent oxygen.

Couldn't you boil and cook the wort/dextrose solution immediately before pitching? Curious to hear how this goes. I'm also looking for any little way to prevent oxygen.

This has been beaten to death in some threads on canning starter wort, and no boiling isn't sufficient for botulism. The only safe ways to store wort are frozen or pressure canning.

This has been beaten to death in some threads on canning starter wort, and no boiling isn't sufficient for botulism. The only safe ways to store wort are frozen or pressure canning.

Sorry? A link may have been more helpful...

Also I thought botulism lives in an anaerobic environment, so is seems like wort isn't likely to be super hospitable?

Just boil some dextrose in distilled or RO water (easier than trying to dechlorinate such a small amount of water) and add it to the fermentor with your hops. I do this all the time with my bigger beers when I'm bumping the gravity up. Never done it to specifically counter oxidation, but I don't see why it would hurt. I, too, would be leery of saving wort.

A little update. I kegged yesterday and no signs of infections. I wasn't too worried about it. I used a plastic bottle complete sanitized with starsan and I squeezed all air out after filling it with wart, so it was basically sealed in a vacuum. The one thing I noticed, this is the haziest beer to date. Completely opaque, but great mouth feel. This was NE style IPA so I am happy. FG was 1.013

Back