Minifridge Kegerator Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htims05

Reaction score
I have a new to me sanyo minifridge kegerator. My current setup is with an Inkbird 308 set to 38*f with a 3*f differential. The temperature probe is taped to a 1L seltzer bottle covered by about 3 in of foam on that side...sitting next to the co2 tank on the compressor hump (probe facing the door).

I also have a remote air temperature sensor midway in height on the side of the cabinet. I just put a 120 mm muffin fan sitting on top of one of the keg's to circulate the air because i noticed via the air temp it would get up to 50*f before the inkbird would kick on.

Now that muffin fan has helped keep the air temperature from getting up so high, but now the fridge is pretty much on all the time. It'll run for an hour, then off for an hour, then back on. Previously it would run for an hour, stay off for 2-3 hours, and then repeat.

Obviously this is due to the more constant air temp in the fridge, but is there anything I can do to lengthen the cycle...seems like turning on every hour for an hour is to much cycling.

I have the same question. Now I want to buy the popular labels like GrowlerWerks uKeg checks all the right boxes. It’s sleek with its 6.8 by 9.3 by 11.9 inches size and 128-ounce storage capacity for my little business.

Seems like there may be a leak letting warm air in the fridge. Or else the fan is warming things up...

A lot of folks use keezers for the extra insulation. I generally had the same cycling issue on my minifridges I've had (even the unmodified ones).

My kegerator now is a side by side to save on energy. The kegs go in the freezer section at 38 and the fermenters in the fridge at 65. Small footprint too.. .

Seems like there may be a leak letting warm air in the fridge. Or else the fan is warming things up...

A lot of folks use keezers for the extra insulation. I generally had the same cycling issue on my minifridges I've had (even the unmodified ones).

My kegerator now is a side by side to save on energy. The kegs go in the freezer section at 38 and the fermenters in the fridge at 65. Small footprint too.. .

I think it was mostly an issue with dead air - meaning there wasn't much in the minifridge when I was testing this - just one - likely half full keg. Now that there's two in there (1 full, one 1/2 ish) it doesn't cycle nearly as much. about 6-7 times in a 24 hr period.

Is it more because of the differential (and I assume you mean cooling differential CD not heating differential)?

If so: You are letting let it (the water bottle) rise 3 degrees and it has to run long enough to cool that mass back down. I would put a 1 degree differential on it if measuring on mass (like a water bottle or a keg itself) as opposed to air then turn up the compressor delay time to prevent accidentally destroying the compressor with fast cycling (ie if the sensor fell off the bottle).

When the measured temperature PV ≥ TS(temperature set value) + CD (cooling differential value), system enters refrigeration status

Is it more because of the differential (and I assume you mean cooling differential CD not heating differential)?

If so: You are letting let it (the water bottle) rise 3 degrees and it has to run long enough to cool that mass back down. I would put a 1 degree differential on it if measuring on mass (like a water bottle or a keg itself) as opposed to air then turn up the compressor delay time to prevent accidentally destroying the compressor with fast cycling (ie if the sensor fell off the bottle).

When the measured temperature PV ≥ TS(temperature set value) + CD (cooling differential value), system enters refrigeration status

I am doing everything you mention here...my compressor delay is set to the default of 3 min. Only difference in my setup and what you state is the cooling differential being 3deg instead of 1.

I’m not positive the way I have the temp probe is correct but it seems like I saw someone do a study on having it strapped to a can vs just letting it hang in the air and this turned out more consistent.

Back