MiniBrew Mash Tun Conversion Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckresge

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm drawing a blank tonight. I recently acquired two MiniBrew HLTs. I'd like to convert one to a mash tun. The problem I'm having is that I have no idea how I'm going to install the false bottom. It's a typical domed one like this:

12-stainless-steel-false-bottom_2.jpg

The issue is that the MiniBrew has a 1/2" threaded port for a ball valve:

s126v9.jpg

How can I attach the tube from the false bottom elbow to the port if there is no way for me to install some sort of internal threaded fitting? Oh, and no, I can't just buy and use the false bottom made for the MiniBrew mash tun. Their mash tun has a ledge near the bottom that their false bottom rests on, but their hot liquor tank doesn't have the ledge. Any ideas?

Of the thread is full port then you can screw in from the inside or the outside. So you would add a nipple to the inside and a ball valve on the outside. If it's not full port then you may want to consider finding some food grade adhesive to glue a nipple on.

It's not full port- that's the problem. I'll look into gluing on a nipple. Thanks.

Back