Mini Mash - 9-10 Litres - Help :D

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpandnz

Reaction score
Yo!

So, have started working more with speciality grains and adding hops to Coopers kits to boost flavor and get something that I want to drink. My latest brew is this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/son-wesley-snipes-smoked-out-357678/ Please check it out.

Anywho, I feel I'm ready to get into some mini-mash BIAB stuff with my stock pot. I don't have a large pot (about 9-10 litres of water) and I know I could easy mash and then boil a bit of malt and grain to get some fresh tasting wort, then top it up with some DME or LME. I love hops but my main concern is that if I am doing a mini mash with say half a grain bill and topping up, and then boiling my hops as per the recipe, the moment I top up my wort in the fermentor to get to 23 litres, will this drastically effect the taste of my beer? I see it as like watering down a concentrate. What I am wanting is that intense hoppy goodness you expect from a good IIPA or DIPA.

Any help would be frickin awesome. Cheers.

Yeah, your hop utilization will be way low dealing with such a small volume. I'm not sure on the exact calculation but you'll need to really up the amount of hops you use to compensate.

Back