Mini kegs for cask ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangevango

Reaction score
Im about to buy some mini kegs, Ive been wanting to try my hand at cellarmanship, and drinking 5 gallons in a couple days is just unrealistic for me. I feel like the 1.3 gallon mini kegs are a much more managable size. Does anyone have any advice for me concerning these kegs? Ive already got a cornelius keg system, Im not trying to use them as a replacement for those.

Also, does anyone know the size of the opening in the Bung after you tap out the hard plastic spile?

edit: mods, move this to bottling and kegging if you will, meant to post it there... thanks

The opening looks like 7/8" on my tape. That is on a Paulaner party keg that I have handy with the bung out. I am not currently using these, but I will following this thread.

HomeBrewer99 uses them... I messaged him and he told me the following:

Glad to help. Not really a thread per se, just comments concerning mini's...I still have over 12 of them that I brought back from Germany.

I presume it has the (black and red) "gravity tap" built in at the bottom as well as the black rubber bung and red plastic "key" on top?

Simply pull the red plastic "key" up and out of the rubber with pliers. Then raise an edge of the rubber bung and try to pull it out (with pliers). Try to use a thick edge as the thinner rubber does tear sometimes.

The underside of the red plastic will probably fall into the keg, but it'll come out with the rinse water.

Just re-insert it into the bottom of the bung and push the top piece into it until it snaps together.

It's really that simple.

If you ever damage the rubber bung they can be purchased at the homebrew store or mail order (midwestsuppies.com). I just picked up 5 more when I was in Minneapolis 2 days ago. I think they were $.95.

Did I leave anything out? If so, just write again.

Later.

Bill

Back