Mini Fridge for Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsvinth34

Reaction score
Looking to buy a mini fridge for Fermentation to keep temp controlled for one 6.5 Gallon carboy. Any suggestions as to a specific fridge that worked for someone, or anyone know the size needed to fit the carboy with an airlock? Would like to try and limit the amount of stuff I have to rip out before fitting the carboy in there.

Danby/Magic Chef

Look for the models that don't have a freezer, but a chill plate in the back instead. Then the only thing you need to change is the temp controller. I'll look for the model number on one of mine when I get home and and get back to you. What state/province are you in?

Awesome thanks for the input and help. Does it matter the exact size? I'm gonna get a temp controller separately. I'm in Sacramento, CA and my apartment is super hot in the summer and super cold in the winter which is why it's so difficult to brew without one of these

I got lucky on Craigslist and found a Sanyo 4912 for $40. These aren't made anymore but it fits a carboy without modifications. Works great, but probably hard to find.

If you need more room, it is simple to make a collar out of 2X6s as you would for a kegerator. Picked up an old Kenmore which holds my 7 gal buckets nicely along with a DIY temp controller. Works better when the fridge is plugged into the controller than the plug just hanging down. Was wondering why my IPA I just finished brewing wasn't holding it's temp... Good thing this topic got me up to look at the fridge...

i have an igloo fr464 that works great for buckets. Could fit a carboy if you removed the freezer. I had to hack off the shelves from the door.

these were selling at home depot/lowe's/walmart for $125 new free shipping for a long time

Awesome thanks for the input and help. Does it matter the exact size? I'm gonna get a temp controller separately. I'm in Sacramento, CA and my apartment is super hot in the summer and super cold in the winter which is why it's so difficult to brew without one of these

Craigslist. Look for somethign 4.4 cu ft ideally. Mine is 3.5ish cubic feet and I can fit a better bottle in there if I use a blow-off tube OR a plastic bucket with an air lock. I made a little shelf out of some plywood to compensate for removing the plastic drawer that comes with most mini fridges. Just take whatever you're fermenting with you to a store/Craigslist meet and check to see if it will fit. There is no sense buying a fridge before checking to see if it will work. I almost made that mistake but ended up lucky.

Also, model numbers typically tell you the size of the fridge. 33xx, 45xx etc. Check a few at home depot/lowes/costco and you'll probably see what I'm talking about.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/app/5344086836.html
This one looks very similar to what mine looked like when I found it.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/app/5336967225.html
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/app/5339495539.html

Back