Mineral Deposits in my Grolsch Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovepipe

Reaction score
Hey, Folks:

I bottle pretty much exclusively in Grolsch bottles, some of which I've had since 2005. At this point, a number of them are getting kind of encrusted in the bottom, which I assume is a layer of deposits from the minerals in our water. My question is, can I remove this stuff easily? Do I have to get rid of the bottles? Will it be a really difficult job, like going at it with a wire brush?

CLR.jpg

Yeah....why wouldn't you? If it's truly mineral deposites it will get rid of it, that's what it's made for.. We use it to clean coffee pots afterall, don't we. What's the difference between a beer bottle and a GLASS coffee pot?

And we recommend it for cleaning out ancient carboys people find. So why would you think we're kidding?

you could always use hot water and vinegar if you had concerns. Would take much longer though.

Ok, I was heading down to the hardware store anyway. Thanks for the tip, and sorry if I came off as snide. I've had some health issues and get worried about chemicals--I actually didn't know that CLR was used for coffee pots and carboys etc. Also, I'm part of a guitar forum where the advice can often be...questionable.

But thanks, and this is great!

Vinegar works also, if the chemicals scare you off.
We have very hard water and I have to run vinegar through anything that boils water.

You can also pick up some PBW (powder brewery wash). Fill em up, let them sit overnight, and it should clear them up.

heckels said:
You can also pick up some PBW (powder brewery wash). Fill em up, let them sit overnight, and it should clear them up.

I've had PBW leave some stubborn crystals of its own. I think I over saturated it, but man was it a pain to get off of every surface.

Latest posts

Back