Min. size for a round water cooler mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankisanerd

Reaction score
I want to be able to do 5gal full boils/batches. What is the size of a round water cooler to make into a mash tun would I need? 5gal or 10gal round cooler?

Going to build a Mash tun and HLT this weekend.

Go for the 10 gallon. I've read too many posts of people who got the 5 and ended up getting the 10 later anyway. I can mash (thickly!) up to 25 pounds of grain in my 10 gal Igloo.

I have a homemade 5gal, and I'd strongly recommend a 10-gal. With 5gal, you're limited to just about 13lbs of grain (at 1.25qt/lb), which is fine for up to about 1.065, but not enough space to do any of the Imperial or high-gravity beers without supplementation from extract.

The challenges you'll face with the larger 10-gal MLT size are mainly temperature. With a 5gal MLT full of grain (about 10.5lbs), I've been losing just 1 degree over a 60 minute conversion when I pre-heat the MLT. I did a smaller partial mash (6lbs) last weekend, and lost 4 degrees over a 30minute conversion, due to the smaller mass of grain. So just be aware that you'll have that same issue with a 10-gal MLT.

I have both sizes, 5 and 10 gal. I've only used the 10gal once... I rarely am exceeding 1.055 OG beer styles.

it depends on what you think you'll brew the most.

Rectangular or square coolers work great for batch sparging. Cheaper and easier to stir as they are not as deep. The 48 qt coleman is like 18 bucks at wallymart.

Back