Milling speed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
For biab brewing, I'm looking at getting a high power corded drill to run my grain mill. I've heard that running the mill too fast can shred grain husks, leading to tannin problems etc.

Since biab is fine with milling down to near flour, does milling fast have the same issues? Assuming you control mash pH and temps, what does it matter if husks get shredded?

My motor cant handle the gap setting I want, but am expecting a higher power corded drill can. While i could probably ly get a variable speed drill, that's the point of this thread ... doesn't matter?

Tannins are extracted under conditions of high temp (>~170°F) in combination with high pH (>~6.0.) The only downside of shredded husks is that they don't keep the grain bed as "fluffy", so lautering can be slower.

Brew on :mug:

While i could probably ly get a variable speed drill, that's the point of this thread ... doesn't matter?

so the point is you could just get a variable speed drill, and this thread doesn't matter? :D

anyway i just like seeing the husks whole for prettiness sake......and at .028" crush i need them for my bazooka tube.....

so the point is you could just get a variable speed drill, and this thread doesn't matter? :D

anyway i just like seeing the husks whole for prettiness sake......and at .028" crush i need them for my bazooka tube.....

Well, maybe not too pointless, they do cost more.

I've been using this drill with a 3 roller Kegco mill for over 3 years, with a gap setting of .025". I've never had a problem from either. The drill is geared such that it can easily do a cold start with a full hopper. I run the drill as slow as I can. The mill always produces a nice crush with one pass. I haven't encountered any taste problems from the .025 crush.

I BIAB without recirculation, and let the bag fully drain by gravity into the kettle during the boil (no squeeze), therefore sparge problems are non existent. BH efficiency is consistently in the low 80's.

If I'm doing a big beer I'll do a batch sparge in a bucket.

I have this one from Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/power...in-75a-variable-speed-hammer-drill-62383.html. On sale, I got it for like $20, and it is plenty powerful. I use a highly modified Corona mill, with the grinding plates pushed together basically as close together as possible without binding. I do BIAB, so the finer the better. The only thing I wish is that it had speed settings, rather than just an adjustable trigger, as sometimes it can be hard to hold it at a steady speed throughout.

so you have to hold it? :( we should petition them to bring back the ones with the speed locking trigger....

I have the older model with the trigger adjustment, but it's not that big of a deal without that adjustment. It doesn't take long at all to grind for a typical 5gal batch.

What's important when selecting a drill is gear reduction that gives high torque at low speeds.

Latest posts

Back