Milling in Seattle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seattlejohn

Reaction score
Seattle Homebrewers:

I brewed my first all grain batch with grain I milled at the Cellar Homebrew shop. I got terrible extraction (really terrible). The sign on the mill said to use the 'drip' setting for 2 row. I'm pretty sure my mash was perfect in terms of water quantity and temperature. I am going to brew again this weekend. I want to know if I can mill 2 row at the Cellar on the 'fine' setting. I don't know enough to just eyeball the grain after it is crushed. Should I run it through the 'drip' setting twice instead of once through the 'fine' setting? OR, should I just pay more and mill at Bob's? I have been hoping my hydrometer was off but it looks like I will be drinking a 3% super-bitter IPA in a month, I wish I had taken a pre-boil gravity so I could have dumped a few # of corn suger in the boil kettle. I was so sure that the wort was right on because the color was beautiful. Oh well, I welcome the challenge of AG. I want to make progress with my 2nd AG . . . and yes I am relaxing with a homebrew.

I don't think so. I think the settings are tongue-in-cheek, but hey, this is all new to me. It is not the big, elephant mill that I have seen at the other leading LHBS.

Is this HBS using a coffee grinder to crush grains for home brewing?

My LBHS in Vancouver BC uses a 'converted' coffee grinder. So yours could be a modified industrial coffee grinder. Which could be fine. My guy uses it (presumably) because the motor is very high quality, and long lasting.

I get 70-75% myself. Don't care to get more now that I have a consistent process.

But you're right to be suspicious of the grind. It's a very likely culprit.

How much more is it at Bobs? the cellar is using an old coffee grinder, but I don't have an answer to your question. You could ask them about grinding twice or changing the settings.

Take a look at your grain after you run it through. You want to make sure all the grains are at least cracked open. If you can easily find a handful of grains that are still whole and in tact then you are not getting a good enough grind.

Also I have been in Bobs once or twice. He seemed friendly enough, and all the reviews I have heard about him are that he is the nicest most helpful guy in the world. I doubt he would be purposely setting the grind light. Next time you go in tell him you are new to all grain and you want to make sure your grind is correct. I'm sure he'll be happy to check it for you.

Edit: I just saw The Cellar is where you got the bad grind, not Bobs. You could try asking the guys at The Cellar as well. They seemed like OK people when I was in there. Also check for whole grains in the grind like I mentioned. I get good grinds at Mountain Home Brew, but that is on the East Side, and may be a bit pricier than The Cellar.

Really simple answer!

Use the other grinder at the cellar. The big one in the right corner of the malt room. If you're still getting a really bad crush you can always run it through twice as well.

I shop at both Cellar & Bob's. I've gotten 70% effeciency using a single infustion mash at both of those places. At Cellar I've only used the mill on the right side of the malt room.

If you shop at Cellar be sure to ask for a "green card". If you have a green card you pre pay grain in 50$ amounts and you get 25% off of your grain bill.

Thanks everybody!

I didn't notice the other mill. I will definitely try that one! I will also check my grain like Zen mentioned.

Thanks everybody!

I didn't notice the other mill. I will definitely try that one! I will also check my grain like Zen mentioned.

Yeah man it's on the right side of the table with all the grains on it. The one on the left does not crush fine enough but the one on the right does it proper!

EDIT: Prices between Cellar and Mountain Homebrew are pretty much a wash if I find myself on the eastside I'll swing in there but Cellar by and large has a better hop selection. My theory is that since Mountain is the only shop on that side of the lake they're supplying hops for all the brews out there so they tend to run out. I'm brewing Sunday and I'll be getting my grain at Mountain (thank you gift cert and full punch card) but I'll end up getting hops at Cellar.

Haven't shopped at Cellar but used to shop at Mountain Homebrew. I used to get 68-70% eff with Mountain's crush. As soon as I bought a Barley Crusher my efficiency jumped to 79-81.

:off:Just as an FYI, if you haven't already seen it, I'd recommend checking out Larry's in Kent. I'm in Issaquah, but still make the drive to Larry's to pick up all my grain. 2-row is 1.60/lb at Mountain...and .72 at Larry's. 55lb bag is $39... can't beat that price!

I use Homebrew Heaven in Everett, they always give a real good crush there albeit a bit of a drive for you.

I've gotten 80% consistently with Larry's as well as Homebrew Heaven's crush and 70-75% @ Mountain.

Mountain uses a converted roller rig with electric drill setup. Sometimes the rollers don't catch properly and you end up fidgeting with them a bit to get them to spin. It empties into a cabinet underneath the setup into paper bags. Although expensive they are waaay closer to my house, can keep records of your purchases (so you can dup a recipe you made before) and are open seven days a week.

Larry's uses a tabletop coffee mill that drops the crush out through a convenient tube. They package in clear plastic bags and have a heat-sealer there to use...also a plus, they are just down the road from WINCO and their dried yeast is relatively cheap.

HBH also has a tabletop mill that drops the crush out through a wider tube. Brown paper bags are the norm there but they also sell bottlecaps by weight!

Back