Blonde Ale Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well... after a couple of days on the gas, I tried it and man... a weird aftertaste... someone told me it was wet cardboard... but I cant really tell... I can definitely taste what the AE did... I get a little bit of cottonmouth... BUT.. about two weeks later on the gas, it is really good... still kinda of a aftertaste I am not happy with, but may just use half the AE next time...

That parched dryness will completely go away. It just needs to sit awhile. A few weeks to month in the secondary then two weeks on gas and its gone. I have done this a dozen times if not more. It just needs time. Regardless of the AE, any brewing defect, or lack of aging with a beer this lite any minute off taste has nowhere to hide.

If you know its very close to 1.000 then half the AE. I have always used the same amount each time without issue, but I patiently let it age.

Does anyone know if this recipe can be made well using Pilsen malt instead of pale ale/2-row? I am all out of 2-row/pale ale malt but I have some pilsen and 6 row still.

For the record. Yes I recommend that you use amylase enzyme in the mash. Adjuncts mash better with 6 and 2 row. Definitely boil for 90 minutes. This will eliminate liklyhood of getting dms in your beer. Pilsner malts have more residual dms in them.

For the record. Yes I recommend that you use amylase enzyme in the mash. Adjuncts mash better with 6 and 2 row. Definitely boil for 90 minutes. This will eliminate liklyhood of getting dms in your beer. Pilsner malts have more residual dms in them.

How much amylase enzyme should I add in the mash? I could not find this mentioned in your original recipe. I did see it mentioned as adding on day 14 to the secondary.

How much amylase enzyme should I add in the mash? I could not find this mentioned in your original recipe. I did see it mentioned as adding on day 14 to the secondary.

Again for the record....lol. (msa is PMing me :D)

Per the bottle instructions. 1tsp per 5 gallons. If you do more than this its not a problem, it will boil away.

For those of you who haven't read all the posts , msa8967 is doing grain sub of pilsner for 2-row. I am recomending this to help improve the mash since its got a good deal of adjunct. Both 6 & 2 row have more enzymes than pilsner.

Yeah, AE in the secondary, not in the mash... its is actually getting better day by day

Yes the normal recipe calls for AE in the secondary. In this case since 2 or 6 row is being replaced with pilsner malt I am suggesting that he mash in with ae too. This is to help get a better mash extraction. Mashing at 147F is an automatic. I believe that's what is in my OP.

This addition ae will help convert the flaked corn. Pilsner malts have less naturally occurring enzymes as compared the x-row malts.
:mug:

Well, I messed up. I accidentally got too excited and added my whole package of hops to the kettle and boiled the full 1 oz for 50 min before I realized my mistake: that I forgot to remove .4 oz. My calculations now tell me that I will have 25 IBU's instead of the prescribed 17 IBU's.

Is this batch ruined? Is it going to be too bitter now?

Is there anything I can do at this point to salvage it? I'm wondering if I should even take the 6 weeks to ferment and bottle condition to find out if it's good or bad or if I should order another set of ingredients and brew it again next week and know that it will turn out as planned...

PiratesBeardBrewery said:
Well, I messed up. I accidentally got too excited and added my whole package of hops to the kettle and boiled the full 1 oz for 50 min before I realized my mistake: that I forgot to remove .4 oz. My calculations now tell me that I will have 25 IBU's instead of the prescribed 17 IBU's.

Is this batch ruined? Is it going to be too bitter now?

Is there anything I can do at this point to salvage it? I'm wondering if I should even take the 6 weeks to ferment and bottle condition to find out if it's good or bad or if I should order another set of ingredients and brew it again next week and know that it will turn out as planned...

Well I'd say brew again. Not cause you messed up though.....just cause the brewing is fun. The recipe will be fine, just a little more bitter than the original. Nothing to worry about.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. If I had extra fermenting containers I would be okay with going ahead and seeing this batch all the way through, but since I am limited on equipment I'll probably just have to brew all over again next weekend.

It's okay though, this was my first run with all-grain anyways so it was a good learning experience. It seems I was far less efficient than I thought with my BIAB setup...the calculator is telling me my efficiency is 58%. Yikes...maybe it wouldn't have turned out too great even if I got the hops addition right.

Looks like I'll have to increase the amount of grain when I order the next batch.

Schlenkerla -

Thanks for the great read with this thread. I read through everything! I plan to produce this for my buddies when they come over friday nights. It's hard to keep up with them with my current BMC clone lager (need at least 2-3 months before its drinkable and I can't sacrifice that many kegs).

I plan to make this with rice to get the bud lite clone going. I also ferment in a closed system so that should help me with the fermentation time. I'm wondering if I rack to secondary how that would affect the AE to be slightly under pressure. I think I'll keep the IBU's pretty close to your recipe, but probably won't dry hop as I'm thinking this is more of a beer pong beer.

I plan to make it this week. Still trying to figure out how I can make a 15 gallon end batch with my 20g blichmans... I use 15.5G Sanke's to ferment in.

Schlenkerla -

Thanks for the great read with this thread. I read through everything! I plan to produce this for my buddies when they come over friday nights. It's hard to keep up with them with my current BMC clone lager (need at least 2-3 months before its drinkable and I can't sacrifice that many kegs).

I plan to make this with rice to get the bud lite clone going. I also ferment in a closed system so that should help me with the fermentation time. I'm wondering if I rack to secondary how that would affect the AE to be slightly under pressure. I think I'll keep the IBU's pretty close to your recipe, but probably won't dry hop as I'm thinking this is more of a beer pong beer.

I plan to make it this week. Still trying to figure out how I can make a 15 gallon end batch with my 20g blichmans... I use 15.5G Sanke's to ferment in.

If the there is starch to convert into sugars. The AE will do its job. Its a matter if your yeast is still up to the task. Probably yes. Give it two weeks on the 2ndary. Rack to your keg carb for a week and serve.

Lemme know how this work for you. OK?

Is the purpose of the amylase enzyme to get the FG down to 1.000? If so could I just ferment this with a wine yeast? Anyone tried?

Is the purpose of the amylase enzyme to get the FG down to 1.000? If so could I just ferment this with a wine yeast? Anyone tried?

Ah no, then it would not be beer. I think it would be more like braggot, but without the mead.

Odd idea, but for the cost of S-05 verses a run the mill wine yeast. The cost is neglible. You gamble the cost of the grain and all the mashing, brewing effort. I would not consider it in my beers that I want to taste like beer. Not sure how it would alter the esters and other flavors.

Having read through this thread I am thoroughly excited to brew some of this myself. I only have a couple batches under my belt so I really don't have a good grasp on how the different types of hops will affect the beer. From what I've read here I'd like to go after a German/Czech hop schedule to get the closest to a BMC for my Friday night get togethers. From there I can try some different hops to tweak it. I'd like to start with the German hops though to enlist some of my friends to try it out. Can anyone recommend a hop schedule that would work for me?

I know you mention that any German or Czech hops will work, but do you have a more specific suggestion in my case?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Use any of these; Hallertauer, Mittelfrueh, Saaz, Tettnanger, Spalt, Hersbrucker, Perle

These are common as well. Liberty, and Mt Hood is good too.

Try looking at this too. Set the filter to "Light Ale"

http://***********/resources/hops?style=18

Lots of choices.... none are bad if they are fresh. You need to watch the alpha acid units (AAUs) and use the calculator to get 16-18 IBUs. AAUs are listed on the hop package.

http://www.recipator.com.

image-3437426749.jpg

Heres mine. Taste kinda like i thought it would. And by that i mean kinda jus a really clean no crazy taste beer!

I guess from reading, after a week, add the AE? Another question. How do I add the AE? Do I add it plain. Or so I have to mix it with vodka or star san to kill the bugs then add it?

since I do not do secondary. Will the beer taste good if a add the hops a week before I keg it?

Here is my hops: cluster was the bittering then the second one is phoniex ( 0 boil). I might add 1/2 oz of cascade before I keg it.

I got two 5 gallon batches going. I have only 1 packet of cascade leaf hops. I can add the packet to it.... Is it ok if I add pellet hops to the second one. maybe saaz?

I guess from reading, after a week, add the AE? Another question. How do I add the AE? Do I add it plain. Or so I have to mix it with vodka or star san to kill the bugs then add it?

since I do not do secondary. Will the beer taste good if a add the hops a week before I keg it?

Here is my hops: cluster was the bittering then the second one is phoniex ( 0 boil). I might add 1/2 oz of cascade before I keg it.

I got two 5 gallon batches going. I have only 1 packet of cascade leaf hops. I can add the packet to it.... Is it ok if I add pellet hops to the second one. maybe saaz?

Just add dry AE to the secondary. No special steps to sanitize the AE.

You can add pellets but you might want to use a muslin sack. Debris might be a pain otherwise.

So I am thinking of brewing this recipe this weekend using a BIAB setup. When plugging everything into beer smith I am only getting a 3.1% ABV. Although when I add the AE into my ingredient profile it doesn't up the ABV. Excluding the AE does that sound right or did I do something wrong?

So I am thinking of brewing this recipe this weekend using a BIAB setup. When plugging everything into beer smith I am only getting a 3.1% ABV. Although when I add the AE into my ingredient profile it doesn't up the ABV. Excluding the AE does that sound right or did I do something wrong?

Are you calculating the final gravity to 1.000?

I made the extract version and used 1.5lbs rice syrup solids instead of rice syrup.

OG was 1.037. Dropped to about 1.012. Racked to secondary and added AE. A week later I'm at 1.010. Seems to be moving pretty slow, any chance it doesn't drop any more?

I made the extract version and used 1.5lbs rice syrup solids instead of rice syrup.

OG was 1.037. Dropped to about 1.012. Racked to secondary and added AE. A week later I'm at 1.010. Seems to be moving pretty slow, any chance it doesn't drop any more?

You need two weeks. People have had bad AE though and not able to lower it or the yeast is totally gone dormant. Wait another week.

Whats the temp right now?

I just found a bottle of this that was hidden away in my closet...Don't move beer after you have been drinking...Anyway, it had 2 months to age and it was way better, with much more carbonation and head retention.

I will do this one again.

I love this recipe and have brewed it 16 times now. I love it. It's my every day all day drinker. I recently upped the amount of ingredients to make sure I got my 5 GAL of beer on bottling day. I changed it to:
2.5# 2-row
2# 6-row
2# corn

This totally allowed me to start with ~5.5 to 6 gal in the fermenter but my OG was too high and my ABV was coming out at 5.6%. This was higher than I was looking for. I want it around 4%.
I'm going back to the original recipe but adding .5# of flaked rice to see what that will be like. I'm thinking about doubling up on this someday and making a 10 gal batch. I guess I just double the amount and it will work out right? I hope the rice won't be a mistake.
Thanks for the great recipe.

....... I guess I just double the amount and it will work out right? I hope the rice won't be a mistake.
Thanks for the great recipe.

Thats what I do. The only thing that would possibly be different is the mash volumes mainly thinking of the water used at sparging. It all depends on your equipment capacity and how rapidly you boil off, or get to boil off. I have found that sometimes I boil longer (before I get to the first hop addition) to end up with the right volume. I'd be mindful of that.

Hi my wife loves miller lite etc. I have an 8gal pot and was wondering would this recipe work for Biab?

It all depends on your equipment capacity and how rapidly you boil off, or get to boil off. I have found that sometimes I boil longer (before I get to the first hop addition) to end up with the right volume. I'd be mindful of that.

I do BAIB in a 15.5 Gal Kettle. It seems to boil off about 2 gal in 90 mins so I think I can do it.

Hi my wife loves miller lite etc. I have an 8gal pot and was wondering would this recipe work for Biab?

It should work out fine. It's a small grain bill and easy for BIAB.
I do BIAB in a 15.5 gal kettle. It seems I need to mash longer to hit my numbers but it works fine. Sometimes I mash for 2 hours or more. Does anyone know the downsides of mashing so long? So far the beer has been great.

Latest posts

Back