milled grain freshness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adworld

Reaction score
hey everyone my first post and my first attempt at brewing happening today :)

i read that milled grain is only fresh for 2 weeks after it was milled. any validity to that? my grain will milled about a month ago and want to make sure its still good.

thanks and I look forward to many batches with you all. cheers :)

david

How was it stored? Taste it...if it tastes good, go for it.

Have you ever bought a container of oatmeal and put it in the cupboard? How badly does is taste after a month? Can you taste any difference in that one month? It's milled grain too.

Many people will tell you a hundred different things. From North Country Malt "if it's kept sealed and cool, 3 weeks".

It's easy to tell if they're stale, just taste them.

I got it from NB and it has been sitting in the bag it came in still in the box. bag was never opened and stored in my house at @ 70deg.

I just checked the shipping date and it was jan 16th so little over 3 weeks as of today. think I'm just gonna go for it

I would say that sealed in the bag, without a lot of humidity that it is fine. Possibly not quite as fresh as it could be but still good.

My own experience: I stored crushed grain in a plastic bag stored in an airtight container for 4 weeks. The kolsch I made with that grain is a great brew.
I think the key is to keep air and moisture out as best you can. I'd do the taste test to check becore brewing.

well I brewed it up. so we shall see come time to crack on open. I will say the grains did not smell or taste as fresh as they prob woulda if recently milled.

thanks again all for your help!

david

Back