Milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyhoundman

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm very new to brewing and having some success with bitter kits I decided to try a stout !
Initial fermentation was good and decide to keg After a good eight days ! Added sugar to keg for secondary fermentation but nowt seems to be happening after five days ??
Usually had press build up with other beers I have done ?.

Sorry, I did not understand your concern. Do you think the carbonation is happening much more slowly than previous batches? If so, in my small experience it varies between batches. Nothing to worry about.

Question of my own: I have never read of kegging and carbonating with sugar. It has always been carbonated with CO2. Is the natural carbonation enough to pump it out of the keg? Do you force out lots of sediment with each glass?

If you're naturally carbonating in a keg, you need to make sure it's sealed. The one time I did this, I didn't get a good deal and the entire batch was oxidized and undrinkable. Try adding some pressure to the keg just to ensure you have a good seal. If you do, make sure the keg is at a temp above 70F. Naturally carbonating at lower temps takes a loooong time.

It's much easier, and faster, to carbonate using c02 in a keg. If you have leak somewhere you can find it by sponging all the sealed areas with soapy water and look for the popping bubbles.

Back