Milk Stout without Chocolate Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirblator

Reaction score
I am preparing to brew a batch of a Left Hand Milk Stout Clone. The grain bill calls for 12oz of chocolate malt but I just realized my LHBS didn't put any chocolate malt in my grain bag. Unfortunately, I am at my parents house for the holidays and the closest LHBS is 30 minutes away. Should I make the beer without the chocolate malt or would it be worth it to try to get that ingredient. I am trying to RDWHAHB but I was really excited about making this beer and want it to turn out well. Below is the grain bill for reference. Thanks for the advice!

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.35 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 18.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Yeah after reading more I think I will want the chocolate malt. I have thought of a creative solution. There is a brewery in town and I am going to see if I can buy a pound of chocolate malt off them. Has anyone ever tried to do that before? I feel like it can't hurt to ask.

It never hurts to ask, especially if it's on the way to the lhbs :)

fwiw, I do an imperial chocolate stout that would definitely be lacking the robust chocolate note without the chocolate (Crisp, usually) malt, not to mention the color depth it provides on top of the roasted and black patent malts I use...

Cheers!

My LHBS is 30 miles away from me so I have no problem and I definitely would take the time to go get it . It can't hurt to ask the Brewery but some have agreements with home brew stores not to sell brewing ingredients.

A bacon cheeseburger isnt one without the bacon.

I am preparing to brew a batch of a Left Hand Milk Stout Clone. The grain bill calls for 12oz of chocolate malt but I just realized my LHBS didn't put any chocolate malt in my grain bag. Unfortunately, I am at my parents house for the holidays and the closest LHBS is 30 minutes away. Should I make the beer without the chocolate malt or would it be worth it to try to get that ingredient. I am trying to RDWHAHB but I was really excited about making this beer and want it to turn out well. Below is the grain bill for reference. Thanks for the advice!

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.35 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 18.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale
30 minutes away is close for me...Id be in the car going to get it.

Latest posts

Back