Milk Stout - Mash high vs Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safa

Reaction score
So by complete accident, (stupid Thermometer) I mashed a dry Irish stout too high, and it came out tasting like an incredible milk stout. It could use more backbone (roast etc), but overall I'm very impressed by my screw up.

So, what are your thoughts on making a full blown sweet stout on purpose by just mashing at, say, 158? Instead of adding a bunch of lactose.

I was wondering if this could consistently achieve a great tasting beer while perhaps avoiding the cloying/sugary aftertaste sometimes found in (IMHO) over-sweetened milk stouts.

Yes you can. Its a sweet stout.

I mash around 150F - 154F for my milk stout. My last one underattenuated and was mashed at 154F. It's FG was 1.024. It's not cloying, but it is chewy.

Thanks for that wildly informative response smiff.

Thanks beernik, sounds good. I'll do some experiments between the addition and mash temp and see which flavour profile I prefer. Lactose is delicious though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll let you know in about a week. I've got a lactose heavy milk stout in the bucket now. I've also mashed high 158F on a recent oatmeal stout to get that extremely "chewy" characteristic. The oatmeal stout was thick and great, but not super sweet.

Not all FG points are created equal, different unfermentable sugars yield a different result.

No reason you can't make a sweet stout with mash temp as opposed to lactose, it's been done....frequently.

This is what I always try to accomplish. I am lactose intolerant, so I always leave it out of any recipe that calls for it and just mash higher and add a little bit of oats to up the body and mouthfeel a bit. I know it's not exactly the same, but it does get me close and doesn't make me gassy. YMMV

Latest posts

Back