Milk Stout, high FG even including lactose...but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kahless

Reaction score
..I'm wondering if some other factors can account for why the FG is 1.030!

The Milk Stout (recipe below) may be stuck, or it may be just within range to bottle safely. Hoping you can help me decide what to do.

3KG Maris Otter Pale Malt
500g Roasted Barley
500g Chocolate Malt
500g Wheat Malt
1.5KG Thomas Coopers Light malt extract (liquid)
400g Lactose (should add 7.5 onto the OG and FG)

26g Saaz 60 mins
30g First Gold 60 mins
20g First Gold 15 mins

I used Gervin English Ale Yeast (Some say this is Nottingham)

(Here is my recipe on Ale Abacus.

I used BIAB and Mashed for 60 minutes at 156F (it cooled down to 146 by 45 minutes, and 138 by the hour). I dunk-sparged in another pot for 20 minutes, keeping it as close to 170F (but under) as I could.
After boiling and topping up I ended up with an OG of about 1.058 measured from the top, but I think that the LME had not been mixed into the wort well enough as I poured it into the fermenter first (cold), and although I stirred I couldn't transfer cooled wort and stir at the same time.

I use AleAbacus, and it calculates (without lactose):
OG 1.061 FG 1.015 if mash efficiency was 64.62% (as my last (first) mash, which had problems this one didn't)
OG 1.064 FG 1.015 if mash efficiency was 70%
OG 1.067 FG 1.016 if mash efficiency was 75%

Correcting for the lactose I was looking for an FG of 1.021 or a little higher.
Now, this is assuming a yeast attenuation of 75% (Nottingham on Ale Abacus)
With an attenuation of 70%, using the middle ground OG 1.064, FG would be 1.019 on ale abacus instead, so including lactose that would make 1.0265. Okay, i'm stretching it here!

My brew is at 1.030, and has been for a week. I started it three weeks ago, and tried stirring it last week to rouse the yeast, as well as keeping the temperature above 22 for a bit for more activity. Nothing happened.
So, I added some yeast energiser (This is before I considered messing about with the mash efficiency, OG and yeast attenuation so that I could pretend everything was fine) dissolved in cooled pre-boiled water, stirred it in and waited.
That was Monday afternoon, but the gravity is still at 1.030. It tastes amazing, but I can't tell if it is too sweet as i've never made a Milk Stout before.

Should I prime and bottle or raise up a starter and acclimatize it to this beer?

With a high mash temp and a decent amount of roasted malt, you're likely done. If it tastes good, why mess with it?

I agree, I think that's your mash temp.

I mashed mine at 154F and used London Ale III. It went from 1.062 to 1.024. I lightly carbed it just in case, but I'm pretty sure it stalled because of the mash temp.

Thanks guys, going to bottle it tomorrow (first chance since last week) and hopefully all will be well.

Back