Milk Stout FG too high? OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpcoyle

Reaction score
This is my first post, but I've been using the knowledge from you guys from years. So, I've made this recipe before and got an FG of 1.022 but this time I used dry yeast, S-04, and rehydrated and its stuck at 1.030. I let it sit for 2 weeks with no movement, repitched a starter, nothing, even added a little amalyse. Its been going for a few more weeks and its at 1.029 now. I can't imagine it getting down anymore. Should I keg it and deal, chuck it, or maybe add something else and wait??? My temps, efficiency, and OG were spot on so i'm a bit confused. I know it will be a bit high with a 1lb of lactose. BS says 1.022 is what i should expect. Like i said I did almost the same recipe before with better results just different yeast. Thoughts?

Here is my recipe.

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
12.0 oz Chocolate (Briess)
11.0 oz Roasted Barley
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked
8.0 oz Victory Malt
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose)
1.00 oz Willamette [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale

Mashed for 45 min at 156 and mashed out.
OG was 1.058

Forgot to mention that. I had it at 68 for a few weeks and the last few have been at 72. You think a bit higher? I have temp control. Thanks!

I used a refractometer for the OG but a hydrometer for the FG. Double checked with my refractometer and did all the conversions and they were pretty close.

I used a refractometer for the OG but a hydrometer for the FG. Double checked with my refractometer and did all the conversions and they were pretty close.

Prob. a stupid question, but is your hydrometer calibrated as well? Have you tried to do the FG with the refractometer, and then use a conversion tool?

1.022 is on the high side for a milk stout but quite acceptable.

for an entire lb of lactose I would say 1.022 is entirely reasonable, not on the high side at all

1.029 is a little high but if your mash temp was a little higher than you measured and with the recipe it may be done. You also had a lot of crysatl/ chocolate malt so that will also make the brew finish a little higher. Recipes with a full lb of lactose most likely will not finish lower than 1.025. The BS estimate of 1.022 is probably too low. It may not go any lower.

I upped the temp a little but if don't see anything by the weekend I'll just keg it and enjoy. Thanks for the help guys.

Back