Mike McDole's Longshot Winner Pliny Clone will NOT be brewed by Sam Adams

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the_bird said:
Bah. Too bad there wasn't a feckin' grape shortage!

Amen. If that beer were brewed by someone w/o a v@g, we wouldn't be drinkin' it in Feb. (no offense to any female forumers....but Grape Ale? c'mon!)

PseudoChef said:
Amen. If that beer were brewed by someone w/o a v@g, we wouldn't be drinkin' it in Feb. (no offense to any female forumers....but Grape Ale? c'mon!)

I won't knock it 'till I try it, but I suspect you may be right.

rdwj said:
...A bunch of whining about nothing IMHO.

Agreed 110%!

This thread reads like a bunch of pre-teen girls who've got their panties in a bundle and are throwing a tantrum because daddy can't get them Hannah Montana tickets. Jeez!

"Welch on a bet"? This isn't a G*ddammed bet, it a contest! Learn which is which. As long as they don't break any laws, the contest runner sets the rules. If you dont like it - don't participate. SA said they would produce this when hops were more plentiful and it is a fact that certain varieties of hops are hard-to-impossible to find. So, before everybody pisses and moans like this is the sinking of the Lusitania, why don't we take them at their word and wait to see if they make good on this beer.

As for a boycott (besides the fact they rarely work), I do like some SA beers and think Jim Koch has done too much for homebrewing to support one.

brewt00l said:
Might want to wait for the details to come out before taking up pitchforks and torches.....

I agree. After reading this thread, it sure seems like it doesn't take much to get you guys all riled up. You'd think that you all were talking about Budweiser, for crying out loud. Innocent before proven guilty, that sort of thing.

Wait for more info, THEN burn SA in effigy.

I couldn't find a single news release to support this claim. Can someone direct me to an official source of information?

I’m not familiar with the whole story so I can’t weigh in on these specifics.

I will say this though, were it not for Sam Adams:
Michelob (probably) would not have been converted to an all-malt beer.
Budweiser (probably) wouldn’t be being touted as the “Great American Lager” in its new upscale advertisements.
The evolution of Craft Beer (probably) would be 5-10 years behind where it is today.
It would (probably) be more difficult for me to get folks to dip into my HB cooler at parties etc…

I’m just saying, SA has done a lot for the non BMC industry and that includes the home (craft) brewing world.

Rhoobarb said:
Agreed 110%!

This thread reads like a bunch of pre-teen girls who've got their panties in a bundle and are throwing a tantrum because daddy can't get them Hannah Montana tickets. Jeez!

"Welch on a bet"? This isn't a G*ddammed bet, it a contest! Learn which is which. As long as they don't break any laws, the contest runner sets the rules. If you dont like it - don't participate. SA said they would produce this when hops were more plentiful and it is a fact that certain varieties of hops are hard-to-impossible to find. So, before everybody pisses and moans like this is the sinking of the Lusitania, why don't we take them at their word and wait to see if they make good on this beer.

As for a boycott (besides the fact they rarely work), I do like some SA beers and think Jim Koch has done too much for homebrewing to support one.
DITTO. All this talk is making me thirsty. I think I'll try a Sam Adams........ :D

Well, BM, that's why it seems so out of character for SA.

My initial response is/was very visceral; I've heard McDole on Jamil's show, I know that he's boys with JZ, and you can't help but feel some kind of connection to those guys when you listen to them as much as I do. Feels like a slap in the face to a homebrewing brother! You know how we have to REPRESENT!

I sincerely hope this is a "we are willing to pay top dollar for the Chinook we'll need, but we literally cannot buy them for any price" situation, versus a "we can buy the Chinook, but they're so costly that our margins on this sixer will drop to 5% from 15%" situation.

Was McDole on the Sunday show? I'll wait to hear what he and Jamil have to say before passing final judgement.

Cheesefood said:
I couldn't find a single news release to support this claim. Can someone direct me to an official source of information?

Check out the Sunday Session 11/18 link. They discuss it within the first hour, I believe. ***EDIT: They start talking about it at 17:25 or so into the show.****

the_bird said:
Was McDole on the Sunday show? I'll wait to hear what he and Jamil have to say before passing final judgement.

Yes, McDole delivered the news himself on the air. I just relistened to it and he's completely fine with it. It's availability as I've said before, it will come out in 2009.

You guys get way too up-tight sometimes. Glad it wasn't half of you all who won and would have been railing on SA. At least McDole accepts it and can be fine with it without crying about it.

Sorry I broke this news without official releases.

Now we can rinse the sand out of our ******s...

Time to go hit up that SA in the fridge!

/Loves me SA.
//Wasn't ever mad to begin with.

I used to produce the Mark Mason and his former co-host (Michael Thompson) show so I just had to share it. It's a silly one, but entertaining.

I think you should all listen to what Mike says about it on the BN. It sounds kind of legit to me. He admits SA would need 2500 POUNDS EACH of Warrior, Centennial, Cascade, and Simcoe. Thats a LOT of hops that as mentioned before, SA probably doesn't have contracted for this year. SA has committed to producing the beer in next years LongShot. Also, about it beinga a clone, I don't think that matters at all. People enter and win competitions all the time with beer kits from HBShops. Its not about the recipe, its about the brewing process and the details that make it spectacular. If all of us brewed the same Pliny clone, each of us would have a different beer and none would score the same in competition. They would probably all be distinct from the original Pliny produced by RR as well. People seem to put a lot of stake in what Jamil Z. tends to say, and I know that he feels recipe is not very importatnt to beer quality and is not really important in winning comps. I think its totally legit to win a comp. with a clone recipe or a beer kit and if you think otherwise I think you're putting WAY too much stock in recipe formulation.

Well said, Clay. Your post is the sort of conversation that we should probably be having here rather than lambasting Sam Adams.

I was being a real Negative Nancy yesterday when there really aren't many facts out there regarding this development. I'd certainly like to hear more from both Sam Adams and Mike McDole on the matter. I made a snap judgment based on hearsay and speculation. That was wrong. Let's let this whole thing pan out a bit more.

clayof2day said:
I think you should all listen to what Mike says about it on the BN. It sounds kind of legit to me. He admits SA would need 2500 POUNDS EACH of Warrior, Centennial, Cascade, and Simcoe. Thats a LOT of hops that as mentioned before, SA probably doesn't have contracted for this year. SA has committed to producing the beer in next years LongShot. Also, about it beinga a clone, I don't think that matters at all. People enter and win competitions all the time with beer kits from HBShops. Its not about the recipe, its about the brewing process and the details that make it spectacular. If all of us brewed the same Pliny clone, each of us would have a different beer and none would score the same in competition. They would probably all be distinct from the original Pliny produced by RR as well. People seem to put a lot of stake in what Jamil Z. tends to say, and I know that he feels recipe is not very importatnt to beer quality and is not really important in winning comps. I think its totally legit to win a comp. with a clone recipe or a beer kit and if you think otherwise I think you're putting WAY too much stock in recipe formulation.

Agreed. I just listened to episode and SA even offered to brew the beer with different hops. They even spent the time to formulate a recipe with available hops. McDole choose to wait until next year and do it with the correct hop schedule. Sound to me like Jim Koch made every effort to make it right. Think i'll have an Boston Lager tonight.

Quoted from Mike's posting on Beeradvocate;

"I may not have been clear enough with my announcement on the Brewing Network show last night. Samuel Adams would have paid ANY price for the hops had they been available. This is absolutely NOT a case of SA pulling out of the deal. They sincerely wanted to make my recipe and they went way above and beyond to try and make it happen. Jim gave me the choice between an alternate hop bill or brewing the beer next year for release in the February 2009 Longshot six-pack. He and I both agreed that it would be a far better solution to wait and brew the beer with the original hops. Believe me, they really love the beer. From what I understand, the leftovers from the pilot batch are a hot commodity around the BBC.

Mike McDole"

If McDole's ok with it, that's all that matters. Afterall, it is his beer that won.

Sammys (or would it be "Sammies???) for everyone.

Allan

I'm glad Sam Adam's isn't as much the bad guy as it seemed after reading the first couple of posts. If they backed out simply b/c of cost I would have been forced to stop drinking Sam Adams, and although their products aren't eactly the second coming of perfect beer like Jim Koch makes it sound in his commercials it is one of the best WIDELY AVAILABLE (meaning most bars actually have it not just stores) commercial beers out there. Plus it would have been sad if a company that promotes homebrewing as much as they do would have turned their back on homebrewing like that. Thankfully it was a misunderstanding and we can all drink Sam Adams.

EdWort said:
Oh, now you tell us. See, It's all your fault now! :D

I feel better after a good nights rest after a weekend of no beer.

It must have been the withdrawal symptoms.

Well, my first post did somewhat mention it.

PseudoChef said:
They said that if things get back on track, it will be released next year instead.

Me First...

GroupHug.jpg

This hop shortage is huge and that is what I am concerned about. The cost is going through the roof and that is IF you can get them. As for SA, I am on the side of the fence that says, "That is too bad", but not on the side that says "burn them!" They have done a huge amount for homebrewers and micros and on my balance sheet they still come out way on the positive side.

didn't the contest rules state that the winner signs the recipe over to sa, and that they reserve the right to make any changes to it etc? or was that last years long shot.

i noticed the lhbs has upped the cost of hops, and i couldn't find any decent hallertau pellets or leaf, just crusty old plugs, for 3 dollars an oz....:confused:

so how does bog myrtle taste?

I wonder hw much Pliney they'll be able to make at a time in their vessels. That inceased hop bill is really going to clog up their tuns.

Yuri_Rage said:
Because they welched on a bet citing cost as the reason. (We're speculating that there's more to the story...but that's really beside the point)

That'd be like me hosting an HBT contest offering a free stirplate to the first guy who sends me a six-pack of homebrew, then refusing to hold up my end of the deal if the price of electronics doubled. I would likely be banned from this site for something like that.

Likewise, I am banning SA from my fridge.

Sorry, that's a bad analogy.
If you were building a large quantity (not 'offering a free') of said stirplates for the public to purchase (not one, to one winner), and electronic parts became sparse or unavailable (not specifically doubled in cost, but just not being able to make a responsible amount of products as assumed by what would be considered a (limited edition) production line, then maybe it's relative.

For the record, I picked up a 6 of Winter and a 6 of Pale and enjoyed drinking it last night. Jim Koch, et all, didn't kick a homeless person, or molest any children, or used a racial epithet. They just can't get enough of ingredients to make the beer.

Maybe, they could've brewed a small batch of it, but they apparently felt that it wouldn't have done the winner any justice(?). I wouldn't rule out seeing it in the future...

(edit: Not trying to flame here... I just love Sam Adams)

janzik said:
Maybe, they could've brewed a small batch of it, but they apparently felt that it wouldn't have done the winner any justice(?). I wouldn't rule out seeing it in the future...

(edit: Not trying to flame here... I just love Sam Adams)

Why guess when you can read Koch's own words in the link I provided above?

brewt00l said:

Boy, that Todd Alstrom is a prick. His words seriously have me reconsidering supporting anything he does in the future--inclding resubscribing to his magazine.

I'll go on record now that the complete story is out, that I won't be boycotting SA. The initial reports were wrong, and that is what I went on--the available info given to me.

The mob mentality of this forum never ceases to amaze me. "Let's harass the lesbian turkey fryer lady, let's boycott Samuel Adams." On & on & on.
Perhaps some of you should get the real facts before jumping on bandwagon with torches & pitchforks. You look very foolish.

Back