Might have over fertilized

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunnerMan

Reaction score
Ok so, putting my rhizomes in the ground, I dug big holes because our soil is very clay like and has next to no nutrients. Well I think I got carried away with the fertilizer. I put about a quarter cup (recomended amount)of this SoilTech stuff that is 16-8-8 and a bout a handful to 2 handfulls of bone meal 0-10-0 in along with Back to Earth(composted cotton burrs) a bit of composted cow and horse manuer all mixed in with existing soil . Gave em all a pretty good watering that had Root stimulator in it.

I didnt see untill after that the root stimulator(by GreenLight) said "With fertilizer!" it has a rating of 5-15-5.
Should I dig up my rhizomes and try and dilute some of this or do you think I will be ok?

When you prepared the soil, how deep did you go and what is the diameter of the hole?

If you just planted your rhizomes, dig them up and dilute your soil by half. The tiny rhizomes just need enough nutrients present in a bag of garden soil.

One thing hops like is a good compost/mulch layer on the top of the soil. It really doesn't take much more than horse compost,garden soil, and normal soil mix with mulch on top. Then just add 1-2 tablespoons of fertilizer every month depending on the size and age of the hop hill. It is easy to over fertilize.

Holes were about 2 feed deep and 3' diameter. I will dig them up tomorrow afternoon and dilute the soil. Hope they can wait that long.

Back