Might have added too much priming sugar at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkellett1

Reaction score
So I brewed a Belgian blonde to completion and forgot that I brewed 4 and a half gallons instead of 5. I went for 1 cup of priming sugar because I wanted to beer to be very carbonated. I also didn't realize the mistake until it was too late and all mixed together in the bottling bucket I figured that I would let it ride and bottle it anyway so I did. I'm just wondering if I should be expecting some gushers in the next 2 weeks of conditioning or not. I'm going to put the bottles in a sink covered with a towel just in case, but I really have my fingers crossed.

Sent from my HTCONE using Home Brew mobile app

You essentially added 25% more sugar than intended. If you were going for 3 volumes, you will get 3.5 (the first volume is already in the beer before adding sugar).

I don't think you will get gushers. They might be nicely carbonated.

The bottles will be fine at that level.

I think the first thing you should be doing is not measuring priming sugar by volume, but you should be doing it by weight. Much more accurate.

If you're using standard 12 oz bottles I think they're usually good for up to 3 vol form what I've read on here. If you're around 3.5 vol I would be a little concerned. I'm sure people on here that have carbed higher than 3 vol can chime in with experience, since I've never carbed that high in bottles.

Thanks. I figured worst case scenario I can put the bottles in my kegorator below 60 degrees F if a bottle explodes to stop the fermentation, but I feel better about the situation

Sent from my HTCONE using Home Brew mobile app

If you're using standard 12 oz bottles I think they're usually good for up to 3 vol form what I've read on here. If you're around 3.5 vol I would be a little concerned. I'm sure people on here that have carbed higher than 3 vol can chime in with experience, since I've never carbed that high in bottles.

Standard bottles are capable of handling 6 volumes. They are not guaranteed to be OK at that level. Repeated use will reduce their capability. You don't really think bottles are OK for 3 volumes, and 3.1 is too much. There is a lot of capability margin built into the bottles.

I had a beer once that went to 9 volumes; only 1 bottle blew. ... It had obviously not finished when I bottled. After the first bottle blew I fridged the rest. I measured the FG of one of the bottles to see what had happened, and calculated 9 volumes from that.

3.5 volumes is fine, assuming the beer is really finished.

Latest posts

Back