Might get some free ball locks, already have pin lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheektronic

Reaction score
So I currently have 5 pin lock kegs, three of them go into my keezer and connect to my 3 tap tower.

My buddy works for a beer and wine broker and recently brought me a nice ball lock keg from their warehouse for free. He said that if nobody claims the others that are still there (4 of them), then he would give me the remaining.

My question is, since my system is already set up for pin lock disconnects, should I convert the ball lock kegs to pin lock? Or convert my pin lock kegs to ball lock and spend some more replacing the 6 disconnects already installed in my draught system?

Probably cheaper for you to look at changing everything to pinlock. However, I'm not super familiar with converting the keg posts, other than knowing that they are not all "universal."

To bad your not closer to me, I would trade you some pinlocks for ball locks.

i use both. Just use the quick disconnects with mfl connectors (not barbs) and put 1/4 flare connectors on your lines. Then you can just switch qds as needed. This allows you to always take advantage on deals on cornys when you find them

Sell the 5 ball locks for $50 each, take that money and buy as many pin locks as you can.

i use both. Just use the quick disconnects with mfl connectors (not barbs) and put 1/4 flare connectors on your lines. Then you can just switch qds as needed. This allows you to always take advantage on deals on cornys when you find them
This is the correct answer. I have accumulated a bunch of both types of kegs (all free)over the years and the flare fittings make it very simple to change connectors.

Sell the 5 ball locks for $50 each, take that money and buy as many pin locks as you can.

I would go with this personally, or at least trade one set for the other so that all of the kegs are the same. You should be able to get more pin locks in trade for the ball locks.

Either way, I would personally prefer that all of my kegs are the same. :mug:

Back