Midwest Noble Trappist Ale Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobluedc

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi to everyone in my first post. I've been lurking for awhile because it seems like every question I've ever had has already been extensively covered (In particular, I have enjoyed being alternately frightened, enlightened and confused on the topic of Starsan rinsing).

I have also now been inspired by Deathbrewer's guide to step up to partial mash, but I have an extract kit sitting around that I'll need to brew first (Midwest's Noble Trappist Ale Kit)...and I haven't found any posts on adjusting this recipe.

Fermentables: 6lb Pilsen LME, 1 lb Light Belgian Candi Sugar added at last 10 minutes

Specialty: 8oz Caramel 40, 8oz Carapils

Hops: 2 oz Hallertau pellets (AA: 4.6%) for 60 minutes, 1 oz Styrian Golding pellets (AA: 5.2%) for 2 minutes

Yeast: Wyeast 3787 Activator (Will use starter for first time)

Fermentation: Primary 7 or so days? Secondary 14 or so? Due to setup and HVAC limitations, all of this will probably occur around 72 degrees.

The recipe says that SG range is 1.049-1.053, FG range 1.010-1.012. Beer calculus says SG 1.057, FG 1.014...which should result in ABV around 5.5%?

My concern is that if this is supposed to be a trappist ale, isn't the ABV a little light for the style? Does this recipe sound more like a patersbier? If I wanted to make it more consistent with the style, would I just add some DME? If so, how much and when?...or would I be best off sticking with the original recipe?

Also, should this stay in secondary longer than 2 weeks?

Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't be concerned with style guidelines. Brew it as is and concentrate on the process, that will giv the best result. I primary until it is done then I rack, only a hydrometer can tell you that, it may be a week or three. I'm not a huge proponent of the stock answer which seems to be leave every beer in the fermenter for 3 weeks minimum.

I keg, so that is my secondary.

As far as the star san there is no confusion, the foam won't hurt anything, leave it be.
I not a "belgian guy", but from what i've read, most start fermentation in the mid 60's, and just let it go where it goes to. That may be more dependent on the yeast strain, i'll do some checking.

_

Thanks for the advice. I'll stick with the recipe as-is. Even though I've always been paranoid about opening up the fermenter due to potential infection, I just picked up a wine thief, so hopefully the hydrometer readings should be easier to take.

Back