Midwest Honey Porter help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VampireSix

Reaction score
I just bottled my 8th batch, the all-grain Honey Porter kit from MWS. I followed the direction precisely for mash temps and hop additions, which included 1oz of Kent Goldings at 60min and 1oz of Cascade at 2min. OG was within range, oxygenated with pure O2, pitched a starter of Wyeast 1968 London ESB, and fermented at 68F (beer temp, not ambient) for 2.5 weeks (no secondary). FG was stable for the last week at 1.011.

From my previous batches, samples at bottling time have always given a very good idea of what the finished product will taste like. Right now, the flavor seems to be overwhelmed by, I'm guessing, the cascade hops. The smell is pure grapefruit, and the taste has a citrusy bite to it that completely dominates the beer, making it almost undrinkable. If I think of it as an IPA, it actually kind of works, but that's not what this beer is supposed to be.

Right now I'm guessing the porter will just need to age for a few months or more to let the hop character fade some. Really, though, I'm not familiar with the porter style at all. Is a porter supposed to be dominated by a 'C' hop like this?

I would say it is too young to really tell. An ounce of Cascade at 2 mins is going to come at you pretty strong for a while but will fade in time. It actually seems kind of an odd choice for a porter IMHO. I would give it another 3-4 weeks and once it is carbed see how its coming along.

Cheers

VampireSix said:
I was thinking the same thing. Any idea as to why they would use cascade for their kit?

Not sure really. Maybe to brighten up the honey flavor a bit?

Back