Midwest Groupon is back! $64 for a beginner kit, redeemable online. (21-Mar-2012)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zegolf

Reaction score
I threw this link up in the equipment forum, but figured it would fit well in the Beginners Beer Brewing forum, as well. The Midwest Groupon for a $64 starter kit is back online as of March 21st, 2012. Here's a link to the kit. It's redeemable online, so there's no concern over which city you're in. I've purchased this one when it was in Tampa and I'm in Maryland. It's a great deal!

Bought mine! I've been nearing my transition to Mr Beer equip to this and seems like a great deal. I don't need a capper or some of the items but I think with the kit and GC its worth it. Basically I get a ton of equip I need and free kits.

I bought it last time around! Lasted about a couple days and had it in just over a week.

I just ordered one. What a deal. I live in Cincinnati and the Groupon worked just fine since it's redeemed online. It's nice to have more fermenting buckets and the extract kit and gift certificate was nice.

I just bought this earlier this month. They are doing it again? I am not complaining by any means, just wondering.

Anybody know how many bottle caps come with this kit?

Also it comes with siphon tubing and a racking tube...so all I would need to buy is an auto siphon to have everything for the siphon process? If I choose not to do the old fashioned siphon method.

I think I may almost be set. I used my b-day cash and ebay earners to but the Penrose Kettle and got a burner for cheap. I made my wort chiller. Its all coming together.

Anybody know how many bottle caps come with this kit?

Also it comes with siphon tubing and a racking tube...so all I would need to buy is an auto siphon to have everything for the siphon process? If I choose not to do the old fashioned siphon method.

I think I may almost be set. I used my b-day cash and ebay earners to but the Penrose Kettle and got a burner for cheap. I made my wort chiller. Its all coming together.

The kit comes with enough for a 5 gallon batch. I think it's somewhere around the 50 range.

Edit: I think it's actually 60

It is a good deal with all the extras. From the picture it looks like 25-50 caps...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/home...re-all-kits/brewing-basics-equipment-kit.html

The package includes:

A brewing essentials equipment kit (a $64.99 value)
A steel bottle opener (a $14.95 value)
Choice of an irish red ale, an autumn amber ale, or an irish stout ingredient kit (up to a $27.99 value)
An instructional DVD (a $4.95 value)
A $25 gift certificate for a second batch
A $12 shipping fee is not included in the price of this Groupon.

Brewing Basics Equipment List:

• Instructional Homebrewing DVD
• 6.5 Gallon Fermenter and Lid
• 6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Spigot
• 4 Oz. of Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
• Airlock (Keeps air out of the fermenter)
• Hydrometer (Determines alcohol content)
• Bottle Brush
• Black Beauty Bottle Capper
• Bottle Caps
• Liquid Crystal Thermometer
• Bottle Filler
• Racking Tube with Bucket Clip
• Siphon Tubing

I threw this link up in the equipment forum, but figured it would fit well in the Beginners Beer Brewing forum, as well. The Midwest Groupon for a $64 starter kit is back online as of March 21st, 2012. Here's a link to the kit. It's redeemable online, so there's no concern over which city you're in. I've purchased this one when it was in Tampa and I'm in Maryland. It's a great deal!

Hello, If you cant find a current Groupon for this kit, just call Midwest Homebrewing and ask them about this starter kit and how to find a current Groupon for it, they will find and give you an active link right over the phone, thats what I did.
Thanks
WileECoyote:mug:

Just a follow-up, I would highly recommend this kit. Alot of great items to get started at for a reason price. I actually want to get a second fermenter and may jump on this again b/c basically with the kit/fermenter/gift card you have it paid. The rest is just a bonus or you could sell some of the stuff.

One thing I may upgrade is the tubing. It was a pain in the a** to get on the auto-siphon and bottle filler. Maybe if I boil it will be easier and I'll just leave on one or other.

Just a follow-up, I would highly recommend this kit. Alot of great items to get started at for a reason price. I actually want to get a second fermenter and may jump on this again b/c basically with the kit/fermenter/gift card you have it paid. The rest is just a bonus or you could sell some of the stuff.

One thing I may upgrade is the tubing. It was a pain in the a** to get on the auto-siphon and bottle filler. Maybe if I boil it will be easier and I'll just leave on one or other.

There's a new version of the coupon

Its a great deal for a basic kit...I've bought a several times....and all of my friends who I've gotten into brewing I've recommened this kit.

That being said...I'm really tired of Midwest in their shipping practices....seems to be the only vendor that doesn't use flat shipping. They claim to only charge you what it cost them to ship...Be aware that isn't true...order some hops a few ounces...they charged me $7.49 shipping USPS....I had to call and point out that USPS should be in the $4-$5 range....After arguing with them...and calling them out they did refund me $2...seems petty but drives me crazy to be overcharged.

For the newbies....get the kit....but don't feel like you have to get all you kits through them...unless you like paying extra for shipping

I keep looking at this and trying to decide whether or not to buy. Looks like the only thing I would use is the bucket and ingredient kit. All the other stuff is duplicates of what I already have. An extra hydrometer is nice, but I already have 2 and an extra thermometer is nice, but not sure where I would really use it. Any other reason to buy this?
The $25 coupon is nice as well, but I don't normally order from them so I don't know what I would get later on.

I agree it's a tough call to buy. I wouldn't mind another extra fermenter, so with that, the kit, caps, plus the $25 coupon (I do use MW) its kind of a good deal yet. And I wish it was the Red Baron capper not the Black Beauty. I like the Red Baron more and would rather get a back-up of that than another Black Beauty that I never use.

Fyi, back when I got it the coupon was only good for another recipe kit. Couldn't use on equipment.

I got one of the MW Groupon's last like Feb or Mar and I was able to use on anything. I ended up getting $25 a 6 pack of LME. The bad thing is shipping is so damn high that more than half of the $25 went to pay the shipping cost.

Latest posts

Back