Midwest Brewing Supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpilot

Reaction score
Anyone used them for mail order? They have what I need at the best price, them and Austin... so any consumer reports?!

Brewpilot

never bought anything from them but i have bought from northern brewer and they are awsome.

I am utterly sold on Midwest.

Ordered my starter kit from them, arrived in short order, reasonable price, and the kit that I got is happily , well, in the secondary.

I sent in another order for a better bottle, some ingredients, and I got a call from someone from there asking me about my order. Seems I had picked the wrong stopper for my better bottle, and despite the correct one being more expensive, it was thrown in for free.

It's maybe $1 difference in cost, but I'm converted to Midwest. Shipping seems to be actual cost (not inflated). Very highly recommended.

Just bought my brewing supplies from them. These people are wonderful! Very knowledgable and helpful! And the prices are great too! Highly recommend!

Cheers All!:mug:

Thanks for the replies... I am going to order some grain and some yeast and hops from them to get my raspberry ale rolling... do you know if they crush the grain that they sell? It doesnt say on thier site, may have to call them I guess.

Brewpilot

I ordered an AG recipe kit from them and ,yes, they crush the grain for free, I believe. I think there's an option in the on-line order form for crushed grain.

I've ordered 4 times from mid-west in the past month. 0 complaints. The ground shipping from Minnesota (all they offer I believe?) takes about 3 days to get to PA, but they have good prices and great customer service. They forgot one thing in my very first (large) order and shipped a replacement immediately.

They ain't the cheapest, by far. These guys are....www.leisure-time.com, but they aren't the fastest in the world. Basically, order before Thursday, that's when the ship out on UPS, once a week. If you can wait a week, these guys have the cheapest prices, period.

Ol' Grog said:
They ain't the cheapest, by far. These guys are....www.leisure-time.com, but they aren't the fastest in the world. Basically, order before Thursday, that's when the ship out on UPS, once a week. If you can wait a week, these guys have the cheapest prices, period.

My brain hurts when I look at that website, but the prices do look good. Thanks.

Ol' Grog said:

Um . . . I don't think so.

I priced one pound of Munich malt from leisure-time - $1.26. The same malt at Midwest is $1.25.

Just quibbling here, but I am not sure you can say they have "the cheapest prices, period." :fro:

In terms of shipping costs, Austin and Morebeer are great, depending on your order total. If it's less than $59, MoreBeer charges typical rates, whereas Austin charges a flat $5.99 on all orders. MoreBeer shipping is free over $59. Austin doesn't have certain things, though, like the Johnson Controls temp regulator, which I had to order from MoreBeer. But it was close enough that a few stick-on thermometers later, I had free shipping!

Midwest is good, I've used them before, but they don't offer any special deals on shipping, which kinda sucks. I put Midwest in the same category as Northern Brewer.

I would NOT use Listermann. Ordered bulk LME from them because the price was killer, and not only did they not label the containers (so I have no idea which is wheat and which is light), but the syrup had spilled all over the bags that the containers were in. Ugh, what a mess.

Ol' Grog said:

I don't think I'd ever order from a place where the website looks like a kid put it together in a weekend. I have a hard time believing that the mechanisms behind the site are any better than what I'm seeing.

I'll throw my hearty recommendation to Midwest. I had a jug of LME bust in shipping and they replaced it quickly with no problem. A friend of mine had some issues with a couple of orders (wrong airlocks and sanitizer), but they corrected it ASAP and now she has twice as many airlocks and sanitizer.

They're also mucho helpful if you've got a brewing or equipment problem.

Well, if cosmetics is important to you, then this ain't your site, obviously. I've called and talked to them a couple of times and they are legit. Their ordering page is secure and updated, what else you need? There methodolgy is quite simple, they put together the stuff you want and let UPS determine the shipping rate, which is the way to go, IMO. How many times have you ordered something like a CD or two, and then get charged 5 times as much as it cost to ship. This way, there is no bull, just straight up. On prices, I'm refering to thier Brewers Best kits. Cheapest period. Find me some that are cheaper on the internet.

I have always liked autsin home brew.. ecspecially for larger orders with equipment.. 5.99 flat shipping for anything and everything.

always a great deal to me..

I highly recomend Midwest. I have ordered my last 15 kits from them. They are always helpful and knowledgable. Ingredients are always fresh, they crush your grains for free and there kit recipes have ben fantastic (Oldcastle kit (Newcastle clone) is highly recomended.

I just recently was in Miniapolis where there Store is at for my brothers wedding. I stopped in the store to check it out, it was a very nice store, And there was a hottie homebrew chick working the register. :D :rockin: I'd give them a try if you haven't. They charge exactly what FedEx charges for shipping

I order my brewing kit and a couple recipes from them. They left a few things out of my kit, but corrected it quickly. I will order from them again.

I only work about 5 miles from Midwest so I've never had to actually order.

And I'll second the hottie brew chick! Huzzah!

I have to chime in here and acknowledge Midwest for excellent service, great prices, and just a great all around supplier. I have and will continue to order from them. The prices are great to me, and if something I order isnt ready to ship out, I get a call from customer service to find out what I want to do. Their customer service people have alway helped me on the rare occasions Ive needed it. Since I live in the Northeast, I usually get my orders 4 to 5 days after ordering from them. Not too bad a turn around time, so I always plan ahead. Usually all other suppliers are 7 to 10 days if not more.

I think Midwest is great!

Never heard of them until today. I was going to place an order with NNorthernBrewer, but I ended up saving about $20 with Midwest. So thanks for the info!

Midwest does crush the grains...for FREE. If memory serves me correctly you choose that option at the end when you are checking out (after entering your credit card info.) The shipping is resonable if you only live a shipping zone or two away and you get it delivered to a business address (or choose that option and have it delivered to your house). It saves to order supplies for several batches as additional pounds after the first few are just a matter of pennies. I end up ordering for about three batches at a time and usually over order some hops and yeast as these don't add to the shipping cost most of the time. You also have a choice in Wyeast packaging. The propogator is a buck 25 cheaper. You get a few less cells, but if you are going to scale up anyway what difference is a few billion cells? I really like their selection of grains. Beats my local shop (in Chicago) by a long shot. There are a few things that I do buy from Northerbrewer that are not available at Midwest, but NB is more expensive. Those of you close to the Oklahoma shipping zones might want to give Highgravitybrew.com a look. They end up being priced around Midwest and the shipping is what UPS charges them. I've found the lower supply costs usually means a jacked up shipping cost and that sites that charge retail prices usually charge what the shipper charges them. The added bonus to any of the sites is that if you are getting stuff shipped out of state there is no sales tax. Enjoy that while you can.

Since they are my LHBS's, I have been to both Northern and Midwest (haven't seen the girl that works there yet), and I have to say that Midwest is much nicer. It's A LOT bigger and overall the prices are typically a little less. I cannot attest to having the orders shipped, but I can say that Midwest has quite a few people working there that run around just filling internet orders.

veggiess said:
I cannot attest to having the orders shipped, but I can say that Midwest has quite a few people working there that run around just filling internet orders.

See, that's worth something, even if a place like http://www.leisure-time.com/ is marginally cheaper on some items. You KNOW that Midwest (and Austin, and Northern) sell enough product that their inventory is turning over. It's like paying an extra couple bucks to go to the grocery store with the freshest produce. The real investment in a batch of beer isn't the $$ I drop on ingredients, that's almost irrelevant in relation to the time aspect. If I'm going to commit so much effort into making beer, I don't want to jerk around with ingredients that may or may not be as fresh as possible.

And DAMN - a hottie brewchick? Is there anything sexier?

Back