Micro Matic 8044-PP Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayf19

Reaction score
I have modded my Micro Matic 8044-PP regulator to become my primary regulator. Although the CO2 passes through, the regulators aren't working...

Thoughts?

Wrong springs?
A primary CO2 regulator has to deal with 2000+ psi cylinder pressure.
Meanwhile, Taprite rates their secondary maximum inlet pressure around 60 psi, iirc.

There must be at least a spring difference, and perhaps even the valve modules are different.
You'd need to work through the parts list for your secondary regs and their primary regs to see what's different...

Cheers!

Might I have triggered this "shut down" safety with the CO2's pressure or it's just that the regulator won't go above 55-65 PSI?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 5
BTW, day_trippr, it's always you answering my questions, so thanks for taking the time :D

The PRV is on the regulated side, not the input side, so it's not an issue in this case. If it were to vent under pressure you'd know it :)

I just compared the parts for their premium primary and secondary regulators (pdfs linked), and the good news is the diaphragm and valve "capsule" are shared between the two types.

The bad news is the spring parts are not listed with part numbers. These (all) gas regulators work by balancing spring pressure against gas pressure on either side of a diaphragm to work a small valve (the "capsule"). And as a primary sees the full tank pressure nearly a thousand psi higher than the secondary reg's spec, I have to believe the key is the spring.

This may require direct inquiry to Taprite.

And thanks for the kind words. If I've helped it's my pleasure.

Cheers! :mug:

The PRV is on the regulated side, not the input side, so it's not an issue in this case. If it were to vent under pressure you'd know it :)

I just compared the parts for their premium primary and secondary regulators (pdfs linked), and the good news is the diaphragm and valve "capsule" are shared between the two types.

The bad news is the spring parts are not listed with part numbers. These (all) gas regulators work by balancing spring pressure against gas pressure on either side of a diaphragm to work a small valve (the "capsule"). And as a primary sees the full tank pressure nearly a thousand psi higher than the secondary reg's spec, I have to believe the key is the spring.

This may require direct inquiry to Taprite.

And thanks for the kind words. If I've helped it's my pleasure.

Cheers! :mug:

I've switched it to back as a secondary but it still doesn't work with the low pressure from the primary, do you think I could have broken or overstressed the spring with the pressure from the tank? I'm waiting on Micromatic to reply my email but it normally takes them a few days / weeks to reply.

1610206498716.png

I removed the nut where the PRV would go and there's no CO2 coming out from there either

Last edited:
Ugh. Obviously I vectored into the wrong regulator brand somehow. Late night :)
Let me take a look at the Micromatic stuff...

[edit] While I can find an exploded parts view for their premium primary regulator I can't find a corresponding diagram for the premium secondaries, so can't compare parts like the spring or valve capsule.

I doubt the spring could be damaged to the point you can't get any gas at all out of the output. But maybe the valve capsule was damaged?
Are you running the full set of regulators and not getting gas out of any of them? That would seem unlikely...

Last edited:
Ugh. Obviously I vectored into the wrong regulator brand somehow. Late night :)
Let me take a look at the Micromatic stuff...

I've opened the casing, removed the big spring, the diaphragm and the pin, still no CO2. I have to figure out how to open the inner "core" for a lack of better term.

1610209088628.png

1610209100207.png

Got to the inner core and everything seems intact.
1610211524255.png

And final update : I've played with the small spring, reassembled everything and the regulators are now working :D

If anyone runs in a similar problem, this video will be helpful

Back