Michigan Malt co 2-row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inthesound

Reaction score
Anyone here using this? I've been using it for the last few months (on my third bag), but I've also been using munton's maris otter for some recipes. I've never achieved more than 76% efficiency with the 2-row, and typically it's a little lower, but regularly, and with no effort, achieve 80% and above with the maris otter. I'm wondering if I should start looking into another 2-row, or if it is typical of all two-row.

I get it from adventures in homebrewing here in Ann Arbor, MI. A 55lb bag is $65. I really love supporting local organic stuff, but if this malt is problematic, then I will pursue some other varieties.

I'll probably start moving my crush finer and finer until I have a batch with a stuck sparge, and I'll see how my efficiency ends up. But Briess is cheaper, so I'll probably buy a bag of that when I need more 2-row.

Nothing wrong with 76% efficiency. The thing for me is being consistent. I would take consistancy over higher efficiency any day.

Yeah, I agree! Granted, I'm also new to brewing (started New Year's Day), and not terribly patient outside of waiting for fermentation. So establishing that consistency is what I'm interested in.

I am going to try and crush my two row a little finer and see where that gets me. The Maris otter is just ridiculous. 78-86% efficiency is typical whenever I use it. I'll have to compare the kernels of the two grains side by side. I'm guessing I'll notice the Maris otter to be plumper than my two row.

The biggest issue I have with inconsistency is dialing in the abv on a recipe, and wasting money. Briess two row is cheaper than what I've been buying, and from their analysis, could probably give me better efficiency than what I've been using. But as is often the case, it's an experiment.

inthesound, any further word on this malt? I had been thinking of picking up a sack at the AA store as well for the same reasons you started using it. I've been having a little conflict over the price increase, and if the efficiency really drops then I may just stick with Briess. Did you ever try crushing the grain finer? Not knowing how the level of modifcation compares to other commercial malts, have you considered giving the mash a little protein rest at all?

I haven't used the MI 2row in a few months. Lately I've been using Canada malt co's 2row. I get it really cheap. If I could buy MI malt co's malt for a better price, like $45 a bag, I'd try it again. I don't know that there was anything problematic with the malt itself. I've had really consistent brews lately, and have figured out my efficiency issues. I just wish the guys from the MMC would get back to me about their malt analysis. I emailed them months ago, and have never heard back.

Back