Mice ate my corn sugar!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxdmax

Reaction score
So I've got everything set for my first bottling day only to discover that mice chewed through the sealed plastic bag of pre-measured corn sugar! Yeesh.

How much table sugar should I substitute for a cup of corn sugar? I assume it will be ok and not worth a trip to the brew store to buy more corn sugar.

Related: The brew has stayed in the primary/bottling bucket longer than I'd planned. It's a belgian wit with dry yeast. Is it safe to assume that at four weeks there's still enough life in the yeast to carbonate the bottles?

Check tastybrew.com's priming sugar calculator. It'll tell you just how much sucrose to use.

Heh - I'm just imaging a mouse freaking out with a sugar rush. Kind of like when Bart Simpson and Milhouse got an all-syrup Squishy.

JonM said:
Heh - I'm just imaging a mouse freaking out with a sugar rush. Kind of like when Bart Simpson and Milhouse got an all-syrup Squishy.

+1 Best episode ever

To convert corn sugar to table sugar, just subtract 10% (by weight).

Both sugars are completely convertible by the yeast. The reason for the 10% diff is because the corn sugar contains 10% more water. Table sugar, because of it's crystalline form, doesn't absorb near as much.

Latest posts

Back