Mexican Lager and Wakatu Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck137

Reaction score
I have a Mexican lager on the horizon...

I have been doing a partial mash BIAB style, then adding a 3 lbs can of LME to my beers and results have been very good.

I wouldn't mind some input for this Mexican lager

Partial Mash:
2 lbs 2 row
1 lbs pilsner
1 lbs flaked corn
1/2 lbs caripils

Extract:
3 lbs pilsner LME

Yeast:
Liquid Mexican Lager yeast.

Main question is the hops... I have some Wakatu hops... they seem interesting for a mexican lager, lime notes... could I bitter with one ounce and dry hop with a second ounce? I like a lager with more of a hop profile than a Corona. Which I find a little bland... however I like that crisp Mexican lager taste.

Now is a great time for me to do a lager as my basement laundry room is freezing... 11C in there now...

Really great... beer is crisp, clear and smooth... doesn't taste like a lot, but then again, a Mexican lager shouldn't taste like a lot.

Imagine a Corona with better head retention, mouth feel and more of a "lime hop" flavor.

If you like Corona but always thought it was missing "a little something" try using wakatu hops.

Really great... beer is crisp, clear and smooth... doesn't taste like a lot, but then again, a Mexican lager shouldn't taste like a lot.

Imagine a Corona with better head retention, mouth feel and more of a "lime hop" flavor.

If you like Corona but always thought it was missing "a little something" try using wakatu hops.
Could you post a recipe on here? That sounds like the beer Ive been looking to try!

The recipe is basically in the first post.

I did one ounce of wakatu hops 1 hour boil. 1/2 ounce 10 min. 1/2 ounce dry hopped. I always use Irish moss too.

I lagered the bottles for a month in my cellar at around 10 C, then the were in the fridge for another week before I started to drink them.

Necro:

How pronounced was the hops? 1 oz at 60 and 1/2 at 10 (per beersmith) gives me 56.7 IBUS (with my mexican lager recipe, similar but AG and 6 row instead)

i am looking for more aroma (lime) than bitterness.

Back