Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout- How much spice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewnewbie

Reaction score
I'm brewing a chocolate stout, spicing it with dried ancho chilies, and using 1 lb. of lactose. Making a full-bodied 6 gallon batch.

***I just need a suggestion for how much of the ancho chilies to use, if anyone has had experience w/ this.

This recipe was inspired by Copper Kettle's Mexican Choc Stout, but I wanted to do a milk stout as well, it'll be great for the cold winter months!

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:

7lb Pale Malt 2row
3lb Maris Otter
1lb Choc malt
8oz Pale Choc malt
4oz Black Patent malt
1lb Munich Malt
1lb Flaked Oats (head retention & body)
12oz Biscuit malt
8oz Carafoam (wanting a pillowy head)
1lb Lactose (last 10 minutes of boil)

90 Minute Boil

1oz Horizon 90Min ("first-wort" hop)
1oz Cluster 5min
1oz Bramling Cross (whirlpool after boil for 10min)
^This will be a little less that 40 IBUs, but the creamy-sweetness from the lactose will balance this pretty well I think.

White Labs British Ale yeast

*?Ancho Chilies into secondary for two weeks?
*Also, would anyone suggest using actual cocoa in this?

Thanks for any suggestions!
:mug:
Drinking: Dark Nutbrown Ale
Tertiary: Smoked & Oaked Belgian Trippel

I just recently bottled a chocolate chipotle stout and my recipe was similar to yours minus the lactose. I soaked 3 oz of cacao nibs , 2 vanilla beans and 7 small chipotles (about 2 oz dried) in vodka for a week. I added that to the primary after fermentation was completed.

I tasted it after two days and it was becoming a little spicy. By the third it was just enough heat on the aftertaste so I bottled then. It hasn't carbed yet so I can give you definitive feedback, but I would advise tasting everyday to see when the flavor is right for your tastes.

Bassaholic how did this beer come out? With fall and winter loomimg I'm starting to plan some cold-weather beers.

Thanks!

Back