Metal God Guitarist of all-time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought he was mentioned, but he's such a safe assumption at (or near) the top of such a list that he needn't even be mentioned. The solos in Mr Crowley still give me chills.

DeRoux's Broux said:
...i think somebody did list Randy Rhodes????:confused:

Yes, he is in MY list thank you very much!

Randy was an awesome guitarist, from accustic to flying V. Its a little known fact that Randy Rhodes had a plan to mix classical music and Metal together. He was taking many of the classical piano masters, and putting their piano work to electric guitar. Unfortunately, he was killed before he could acheive this goal.

Tony, I even bought some rotten ancient Quiet Riot bootlegs just to hear Randy...I wish some of his classical playing would surface...we are approaching the 25th annvy, aren't we? Maybe a live DVD of the Tribute album or something else, with an extra of a 7-minute version of Dee?

DeRoux's Broux said:
Steve Harris of Maiden get's my vote for killer bassist!
I reckon both Lemmy from Motorhead was more inventive - Played it like a rhythm guitar - and then Cliff Burton (already mooted here) who played Solos on the bass later like a lead guitarist. Class.....

Herman Li(modern)
Dime(90's)
Andy LaRocque/Mike Wead(80's dual attack)
Fabien C.(Technical Death Metal)

Big fan of Steve Vai, VH, Satriani, etc, but I do not call them heavy metal. Hard Rock, maybe, but Vai and Satriani fit in a category outside of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal.

Malmsteen is maybe the "best" shredder I am familiar with, but that kind of music wasn't my thing. I was more into interesting licks than how fast and heavy they can sound.

I am fascinated by how Satriani was inspired to play guitar by Hendrix, and took it to a whole new level of technique and study. He's way beyond Hendrix in theory and structure, yet he still idolizes Jimi who was possibly the most influential rock guitarist ever.

It's really hard to pick a best, because there are different styles, and even different definitions of the various genres. I'm a huge Van Halen fan. I just love his sound, especially back when he was drunk and came up with so much different stuff. He was a huge influence for the Hard Rock and even Glam Rock era bands, and I know MANY people who got into playing because of him. Is he the best? No. But he had something going on that came through in his turned on so many people.

Steve Vai, I have so much respect for, and I think he may have been one of the best rock guitarists, in both theory and in playing. But there are albums of his that I have no desire to listen to. Then again, I sometimes listen to Passion and Warfare and just marvel.

There is no one right answer here, but maybe there are a few wrong answers. I mean, when the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences of the United States chooses Jethro Tull as the first Heavy Metal Grammy winner, you gotta wonder...

I'd say it's a toss up between Steve Vai, Tony Iommi & Edward Spider hands. "Those 'evy metal riffs...I don't know where they come from", Ozzy of Tony. And Eddie, well, it's obvious. But the two guys from Judas Priest are awesome, especially live, with how they fly through arpeggios at breakneck speed while trading solos & rhythm. That's unmatched by any other band I've ever heard.

There are just too many to pick one. Judas Priest has had some really nice guitar work over the years. I keep forgetting that I need to download their anthology and check it all out.

Sometimes it's not about how technically awesome someone is, but just the SOUND they come up with to fit a song that makes a huge difference. And I really appreciate when someone comes up with a new technique. Maybe that's why I liked Van Halen so much. He had a lot of original sounds and made their music so fun.

I like The Darkness a bit too. Some cool riffs with a clean yet heavy sound. I even think their singer is cool and try not to feel bad about it.

Sometimes it's not about how technically awesome someone is, but just the SOUND they come up with to fit a song that makes a huge difference. And I really appreciate when someone comes up with a new technique. Maybe that's why I liked Van Halen so much. He had a lot of original sounds and made their music so fun.

I appreciate this sentiment and there's a ton of truth in it, Darrell Abbott is a good example here. Metal music is home to some of the most technically gifted and diverse musicians on the planet, picking one best guitarist across all metal genres is impossible. If we're talking prog metal I'd probably give a nod to Petrucci for the same reasons Homer points out although, believe it or not, there are plenty of other guitarists more technically proficient than him in the same genre. Here's an example of his work if you are not familiar...

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate this sentiment and there's a ton of truth in it, Darrell Abbott is a good example here. Metal music is home to some of the most technically gifted and diverse musicians on the planet, picking one best guitarist across all metal genres is impossible. If we're talking prog metal I'd probably give a nod to Petrucci for the same reasons Homer points out although, believe it or not, there are plenty of other guitarists more technically proficient than him in the same genre. Here's an example of his work if you are not familiar...

YES! I completely forgot about Petrucci! And it was a reminder that we are discussing METAL, within which are several distinct sub categories, which overlap.

It's like IPA music. There are several varieties, but they all share a common flavor.

YES! I completely forgot about Petrucci! And it was a reminder that we are discussing METAL, within which are several distinct sub categories, which overlap.

It's like IPA music. There are several varieties, but they all share a common flavor.

I've got the Priest box set Anthology. Lots of good videos of concerts, interviews, etc. Tons of music in there. I like how the edges of the box are studded like one of my guitar straps.

Agreed.

I like Petrucci over a lot of other prog metal guys due to his tone mainly, which is superb. He also pretty much pioneered the use of piezo bridge pickups in electric guitars, running clean tone on separate amps and overlapping with distortion.

Michael Romeo from Symphony X is arguably the best guitarist in progressive metal based on technical ability alone but compared to Petrucci the tone and feeling in his playing is lacking IMO.

Ah, yes, I see how that is. I still kind of prefer Petrucci's playing over Romeo's, and I like the tone better, as you say.

I'm curious to know what they would all sound like if they had a chance to play on some vintage equipment, like Eddie Van Halen's old school stuff, or Jimi Hendrix's or Jimmy Page's stuff.

I also like Nuno Bettencort, although against those guys he might not be as fast. I like his sound on a lot of tunes and he has a way with the whole production of his songs and albums (Extreme) that goes beyond guitar playing. Although I'm not sure if "metal" strictly applies there. They mainly made hard rock tunes, but dipped their toes into whatever sound they wanted. I really liked his riffs.

Romeo uses Marshall amps, or at least he did the last time I saw them play. Here's how Petrucci rolls...

I'm guessing he also has a rack of effects and a few pedals too. Long gone are the days where a guitarist simply plugs into an amp and starts shredding.

Ever heard of this crazy B!tch?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP46qTzdCyk&list=PL494F6F92F4AFDB4B&index=1[/ame]

The titles of her albums alone are worth the mention:

• Satan Says
  • Worship me or die!
  • Beethoven on Speed
  • Rossini's Rape

My most favorite of all times though is this:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBhcPnzUjsM[/ame]

Latest posts

Back