Met a poseur beersnob at work.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thataintchicken

Reaction score
So this guy comes into the restaurant... sees the BMC selection on tap and says " You need bigger beer selection... maybe an IPA". Being the smartass I am, I replied, "like a Widmer Broken Halo or a SMASH Marris Otter and Amarillo".

The dude's jaw dropped. He said ... "um..sure.. maybe a Guinness"
I said "sorry, don't have Guinness" ... and sold him a Budweiser.

Didn't know Guinness was an IPA.

Well what kind of establishment do you work at? We dont need names, but if its a bar you have to have some good beers, if its more resturanty then WHO THA F CARES. This semester I am going to try to work in my local brewpub, so hopefully I will be able to sample their fine product.

I work in an extremely high volume pizza place with 16 soda taps, 2 wine and 2 beer taps.
Bud and Bud light on tap.
Easy to train and easy to deal with.

meh.
would rather lose the wine and add Widmer Hefe and American Ale ... but, not my call.

if its more resturanty then WHO THA F CARES.

you'd be amazed at the questions posed by customers.
they usually are flabbergasted when I have to pour a beer because the 17 year old at the cash register can't under California Law.

there are so many little laws and procedures that alcohol serving establishments need to deal with.

I am thankful that I do as little beer business as I do. It makes the period end paperwork much easier. :D

they usually are flabbergasted when I have to pour a beer because the 17 year old at the cash register can't under California Law.

there are so many little laws and procedures that alcohol serving establishments need to deal with.

One of those little laws that used to fry me was, when I lived in Vermont, you could only have one glass of alcohol at a time. So you would have to completely finish your drink before the waiter would bring another. Not that I two-fist a lot but if you have a slow waiter... On the plus side if you didn't finish your wine, you could bring home the bottle.

"SMASH Marris Otter and Amarillo".

LOL. To be fair, you can't fault the guy for not knowing that one.

And by the way, YOU NEED A BIGGER BEER SELECTION! I mean, in case no one has mentioned it. :)

So this guy comes into the restaurant... sees the BMC selection on tap and says " You need bigger beer selection... maybe an IPA". Being the smartass I am, I replied, "like a Widmer Broken Halo or a SMASH Marris Otter and Amarillo".

The dude's jaw dropped. He said ... "um..sure.. maybe a Guinness"
I said "sorry, don't have Guinness" ... and sold him a Budweiser.

Didn't know Guinness was an IPA.

Just playing Devil's advocate here for a minute... I wouldn't have said or done anything different than this guy. Beer on tap? Nothing good? Let manager know his customers would appreciate good beer. Manager says something weird and snarky? Try to steer conversation back to reality. No good? Cut bait.

Think about it for a minute.... If you were complaining about the beer selection to a restaurant manager you don't know, would you just assume they know what you mean by "decent beer"? No, because then you'd probably end up getting Corona on tap if you did manage to convince him. Specifying "like an IPA" cuts to the chase. His response of "Maybe a Guinness" does not inherently suggest that he thinks Guinness is an IPA, in the context shown here it seems more like he's searching you out for something viable.

If a manager retorted to my request for "something decent like an IPA" with "SMASH Marris Otter and Amarillo" or any other completely off-the-wall suggestion I would immediately assume that person was an a-hole blowing off my request or out of touch with the business. At which point I would just try to figure out what you do have to serve me so I can be on my way.

Not having witnessed this in person I can't say for sure, but the converstion as posted seems weirdly familiar to me. I could easily have said the exact same thing to a bar/restaurant manager without harboring any belief that Guinness is an IPA.

Manager says something weird and snarky?

Not having witnessed this in person I can't say for sure, but the converstion as posted seems weirdly familiar to me. I could easily have said the exact same thing to a bar/restaurant manager without harboring any belief that Guinness is an IPA.

understandable.
yes I was snarky... but said it with a big smile.. I was probing him to see if he had a real suggestion -vs- a complaint. My brain tossed widmer out and the smash just to see if he was a homebrewer...

I should have been more descriptive .. or better yet, not vented.
It won't happen again.

Snarky is as snarky does, that's what momma always says.

On todays menu.
Beans, beans the musical fruit...

Latest posts

Back