Messy starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindhop

Reaction score
Made a 2 liter starter in 2000 ml flask ( I know probably to small) with 2 vials of california ale yeast. I left it over night on my stir plate and when I checked it in the morning there was yeast mess all over the outside of the flask in the towel I had Covered it with. I was brewing a 12 gallon pale ale with an OG of 1.057. I added the starter and a jar of yeast that I had rinsed so that I would not under pitch. What are everyone's thoughts on this situation?

Yeah, I learned that lesson a while ago too. Mr. Malty called for two vials and I put the starter in one 2000ml flask. What a mess. I now just do two separate 1L starters (Benefit of having more than one stirplate). Just like the pediatrician tells you when your kid throws up their medicine....most of the meds probably stayed in the kid, and the mess on the floor may look like 2 gallons...but it ain't. I think you'll be fine.

I had the same situation over the weekend. I was worried that I lost too much yeast on the outside of the vial. No worries. In less than 24 hours I had heavy krausen and the blow off tube was being used.

IMAG0102.jpg

Latest posts

Back