mesh bag in mash tun.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
Fairly new to all grain and have the round cooler with false bottom set up. I fly sparge. The three previous times I had very inconsistent flow out. This time I lined the tun with a large nylon mesh bag, secured it with a large rubber band. The lid went on fine and the cooler held its heat during the hour with no issues. This time was so much easier! Just wanted to share..

Fairly new to all grain and have the round cooler with false bottom set up. I fly sparge. The three previous times I had very inconsistent flow out. This time I lined the tun with a large nylon mesh bag, secured it with a large rubber band. The lid went on fine and the cooler held its heat during the hour with no issues. This time was so much easier! Just wanted to share..

I use the same set up, my only problem with the false bottom is that it took forever to vorlauf so soon after that I went to a fly sparge. I thought about using a bag too, did you hit your numbers witht the bag, what was your efficiency with the bag? Thanks for sharing!

I hit all my temps. Fairly new , haven't calculated efficiency yet. Ended up with sg of 1.052, recipe calculated 1.048... Recirculation was a breeze, cleared up really fast. The lid went on well, screwing over the bag and and temp only went down 1 degree in an hour. I was able to stir the mash without any issue of the bag flying around.

I am looking at doing this as well with a RIS. I have a braided line in the bottom of my cooler, and plan to protect the bag with a pizza screen set on top of it. Not sure if I am going to batch sparge or continue with BIAB no sparge yet.

Glad to hear someone doing the same type thing with success!

I've been doing the bag for 2 years, easy clean up and you can squeeze to get more wort into the boil. Wouldn't brew without one!

My first AG brew I had went with a false bottom - instant stuck sparge. I noticed afterward the false bottom wasn't truly flat and grain easily got underneath. I switched to this immediately after:

image_747.jpg

and since getting that bazooka screen everything gone awesome, no stuck sparges, great flow, etc and no bag to rinse grains out of. To use it in a 10G round cooler like mine though requires folding (crimping) the end to shorten it's length a little.

Rev.

Back