Merry Christmas mom and dad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corkybstewart

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
CARLSBAD — A single-vehicle accident took the life of a Carlsbad man Monday morning around 9:36, according to information from the New Mexico Department of Public Safety.

Robert L. Smith Jr., age 27, was traveling westbound on State Road 128 when he approached a left-hand curve near the intersection with State Road 18, a DPS news release stated. The intersection is east of Carlsbad, near the small community of Jal.

Smith was driving a 2002 GMC utility vehicle. Investigators said he failed to negotiate the curve and traveled into the opposite lane. He steered to the right, but overcorrected, causing the vehicle to go into a broadside skid.

When the vehicle skidded off the roadway, it rolled approximately two times.

Smith, who was not wearing a seat belt, was ejected from the vehicle.

He succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene by Deputy Medical Investigator Sandy Brown.

Police investigators said driver inattention, alcohol and lack of seatbelt use contributed to the crash.
My kids grew up with him, I hired him back in 2010 but had to fire him 3 weeks ago for drinking while driving his work truck.
Yesterday I really was sad to hear he died, his parents came to my office to tell me but I was out. By last night I was mad about it, I figured alcohol was involved. This morning I find out he left a party in Odessa Texas at midnight and was headed back to Carlsbad with a fresh 30 pack on the front seat of his mom's car. He made it halfway, and apparently lay dead undiscovered for 8 hours, no surprise given how little traffic there is on that road.
So now I'm really pi**ed at Smitty. How could he do this to his friends and family? Even if you don't care about yourself, quit being so damn selfish and think about how this will affect everybody around you, even if you don't deserve it.
I love my beer, but one reason I homebrew and my wife loves that I homebrew is that I drink at home. We have parties but everybody has to stay at our house or have a legit DD.
Merry Christmas Mr and Mrs. Smith
End of rant.

Has to be the worst feeling in the world to outlive your children. Especially when it could have been easily prevented. I feel bad for his parents, but that guy is a selfish ja*****.

I'm sorry for everyone involved.

Nuckinfuts is right, sometimes the demons win.

Everyone has their demons, sometimes they win.

RIP.
This

Thank God he only did himself in.
and This.

As sad as it is, it could have been far worse for someone completely undeserving. I'm not saying this kid deserved to die for his problems, but more so for his actions than the innocent family that could have been involved. I feel the worst for his parents who will live with the holidays as a constant reminder, likely for the rest of their years.

My thoughts exactly. Must be terrible. Now every Christmas they'll be reminded of this. Not that any other time of the year would hurt less, but it's supposed to be a happy time of the year with family, etc.

Everything fades in time, sad fact of life. May take a few years, but they will enjoy the holiday again in time.

I had a good friend and neighbor who turned out to be a drunk. Strange thing is I only ever saw him drink 1 times in all the years I knew him. He got a DWI years ago and I helped him stay out of jail and got him into drug court and he was doing great after he finished the program. Then he crashed real bad and got severely injured and he got arrested for DWI again. He couldn't stop drinking and driving after that and I was forced to walk away and have nothing to do with him. He had 2 more bad DWI accidents and the last one killed him. I thank god that he never crashed into anyone else or hurt anyone else. Sometimes I wish that I didn't help him stay out of jail after the first DWI.

Quite often when I'm driving and see someone doing something totally reckless, and with no regard to other drivers I think to myself, well, if someone HAS to die on the road today, I hope it's that jackass and not one of his victims.

Sadly, that is the case here too. :(

I almost got hit by that guy a few weeks ago...

And Gnome, seriously i'm terrified of those things and your avatar is freaking me out

Back