Melting plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
7C3E4C40-8E81-4F99-8B9A-D7AE43A5329D.jpeg

Can someone tell me why this plastic is melting? Something wrong with the wiring? The element functions fine when I use it. But the plastic always melts from the heat. Am I doing something wrong?

Watts turned into heat because of resistance inside that connector. Either the wires aren't tight or the prongs aren't making a low resistance connection...
Thank you for the reply. What can I do to correct the absence of a low resistance connection?

I'd start by opening up that plug and taking a look inside as an autopsy because that connector is shot.
Check for tightness of the wires, and try to determine if the heat started at the wires and worked to the prongs, or the other way around.

Also, what does the element side look like?

Cheers!

62FFB309-4D35-4792-8C73-356F15B65176.jpeg
4FA39D27-57F0-45F6-9416-9EAEB9A9C280.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the inside and the prongs. I’m guessing it’s the loose wiring possibility you mentioned?

Those prongs look pretty bad too. If you can't shine them up with some steel wool, I'd replace the element. All that oxide and grunge on the prongs will increase contact resistance, and you may destroy the new receptacle even if the wires are tight.

Brew on :mug:

First, check your breaker.
Make sure its rated for the amps of your element. It should have popped long before your plug baked. Then check what that plug is rated for.
You have a serious fire hazard there.
It also appears that you have had water or condensate get into the elements connection and your receptacle.
And I hope you have a GFCI. If not, get one soon.

It would actually be unlikely that any breaker would trip in this situation, unless the insulation melted/burned off the hot wire and it made contact with anything else in that connector housing.

Breakers work on excess current being pulled through a bimetal strip. This is not that - this is electricity being turned into heat - and actually as the resistance increases the load at the breaker decreases...

Cheers!

I was looking at the wiring which appeared to be melted.
Hard to tell from the picts. And you are correct on wattage, and the breakers functionality.
The receptacle is rated for 30A, and the highest power element I've seen with the integral L6-30 plug is rated at 5500W @ 240V. Thus the max current that cant be drawn is ~23A. Any resistance in the supply wiring will reduce the current draw. So, the plug is adequately rated.

If the wiring was undersized enough to get hot enough to melt the insulation, it would get hot all along the length of the wire, and the heat damage would not be limited to the connection area in the receptacle. Since the only place that melting occurred is the connection area, that is where the heat was generated, not in the general wire length.

We see high resistance connections lead to fires every year at the marinas. Somebody drops a 30A shore power cord plug into the saltwater, then plugs it into a dockside receptacle. Now both sets of contacts start corroding. The boater burns up the plug, and replaces it. Now the corroded receptacle ruins that one, too. Everything seems fine until the boater turns on the electric heater(s) and draws serious current through the resistance.

Nothing to do with wire gauge or circuit breakers. Replace both the plug and socket for a safe and reliable connection.

Appreciate everyone’s responses. As for the matter of gfci, below is a picture of the two 20 amp breakers dedicated to the outlet. How can I tell if they are gfci?
6D866F7C-FA85-49F1-A265-A2682F1DF73F.jpeg

That's basically a heat runaway. Oxides build up on the element prongs and on the female contacts in the connector. The increase in resistance make that area hotter and the added heat makes the plastic parts melt a bit and then the contacts are made worse. You may get some arcing between the parts and that fouls the connection even more making it hotter.

Long story short, you want to use an emory board or 100 grit sandpaper on the prongs occasionally and that problem won't happen again. If the female connector on your cord is not molded, you'll also want to take it apart and snug up the screw connection that holds the wiring into the lugs.

Appreciate everyone’s responses. As for the matter of gfci, below is a picture of the two 20 amp breakers dedicated to the outlet. How can I tell if they are gfci? View attachment 716790

Probably unrelated to your issue, but if that element is 5500 watts (and I'm pretty sure it is), 20 amp breakers and the likely 12 gauge cable going over to your outlet is undersized for the 24 amps you're pulling.

I don't know if all gfci's have an indicator light and reset button but mine do, which makes me believe those are straight breakers...

Cheers!
The neutral wire from the circuit will run to the breaker first then a pigtail to the neutral bar. I think I have some without lights(?) but a tester button I think is standard. Exercise appropriate caution if you are taking the panel off your load center.

Appreciate everyone’s responses. As for the matter of gfci, below is a picture of the two 20 amp breakers dedicated to the outlet. How can I tell if they are gfci? View attachment 716790
Those look like single pole, non-GFCI breakers for 120V circuits. Are you running on two, opposite phase 120V circuits? If you are running on a 240V circuit, then those are not the breakers you are looking for.

Yeah those look like tandem 20amp breakers in a single pole 120v circuit space. Ie: 4x 20amp 120v circuits in 2x 120v circuit spaces. Used when your box is overloaded and you need space usually

If that’s what’s being used to connect together to build a 240v circuit, then there’s a bigger problem

How about: it is a twist lock connector. Are you plugging in AND twisting, locking it into place when you use it?

Or do you just push plug it into the socket as if you are plugging in a toaster?

How about: it is a twist lock connector. Are you plugging in AND twisting, locking it into place when you use it?

Or do you just push plug it into the socket as if you are plugging in a toaster?
I haven’t been twisting. Perhaps that is the problem.
Also, yes, I was incorrect about which breaker went to the 30 amp outlet. Apologies to everyone who replied to that effect!

Back