Melomel question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fossilcat

Reaction score
It's blackberry season so I went out and picked just over 5 lbs from around my house. I really like blackberries but those bushes do take their pound of flesh before giving up their fruit. Here's my recipe:

- Local Wildflower Honey - shooting for around 11% alc; OG about 1.080
- Total must volume: 2.5 gals (1/2 gal for topping off, then who knows)
- 2 gm Potassium Carbonate (maybe more, I've got a monitor, looking to maintain pH of 3.5, first time using it)
- .2 oz of Lavender Flower tips (tea) in primary (my sister likes lavender)
- Rehydrate with GoFerm
- Staggered Nutrient Additions
- Release CO2 3x/day for a couple of days depending on gravity readings. Then taper daily stirrings to only an occasional agitation until gravity readings don't move (hopefully 1.000 or less).

- Begin thawing the blackberries (they've been frozen by the way). Add pectin enzyme, cover and put in the frig over night.
Note: Not sure I should use k-meta here. The berries are, after all, wild. Maybe freezing will kill the unwanted passengers. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.
- Split the berries into 2 muslin bags, put 1 each into 2 1gal carboys. Mash them a bit. Rack onto the berries from primary.
- Rack when necessary. Bottle when ready.
- Take one gallon and Oak with American medium for 3-4 wks before bottling.

So my big question is the yeast. I want to use 71B because I have it in the frig. but it has an alcohol tolerance of 14%. When I rack my 11% primary must onto the blackberries it will restart the fermentation process. Won't the taste be the same as if I added the berries to the primary? I prefer, in this case, to avoid the fruit-in-primary wine taste for the more crisp fruity taste of the secondary addition. This is the first time I've planned on a honey amount that will yield an alcohol level short of the yeast's potential. I could add a Campden tablet but that's not a guarantee that fermentation won't eventually start again. Should I just buy a more suitable yeast?

From my perspective your hitting on the issues associated with fruit in secondary. You have to hit it with both stabilizing chemicals. Campden plus sorbate, so it doesn't restart fermentation. Any yeast with good nutrition, i.e. melomels will go to 14-16%. I used another yeast recently rated for 15% that went to 20%.

Back