Melanoidin/Aromatic in an Oktoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper74

Reaction score
All of the descriptions of Oktoberfest that I see emphasize its malty profile. I understand that melanoidin and aromatic malt both add an intensely malty flavor to beer. I have not really seen many Oktoberfest/Marzen recipes that call for either of those grains. Does anyone use melanoidin or aromatic in brewing an Oktoberfest?

EDIT: I should add that I am talking about aromatic or melanoidin in a true lager, not an ale, such as Biermuncher's OctoberFAST Ale.

I don't think aromatic is good for the style. However, if you're going to skip the decoction mash, people often use melanoidin malt in German lagers to simulate the melanoidin flavor you'd get if you did the decoction. So that malt would make sense here if you're skipping the traditional mash.

I don't think aromatic is good for the style. However, if you're going to skip the decoction mash, people often use melanoidin malt in German lagers to simulate the melanoidin flavor you'd get if you did the decoction. So that malt would make sense here if you're skipping the traditional mash.

Exactly what I was thinking about--the melanoidin would provide the extra malt character missing because of the lack of a decoction. But it appears that most recipes for an Oktoberfest skip the decoction and yet they generally do not call for melanoidin malt. I guess my question is why not?

Good question skipper, I've wondered the same thing. Would be interested to here what peoples experience is with this.

i'm too lazy to decoct and use melandoidin in every lager i make (including a few marzens), it works well

The melandoidin also helps gives you a nice orage /red hue. Used it in an IPA I made, and it clearly added to the color.

Back