megapot problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmurda

Reaction score
so im going to drill a new hole in my 10 gallon megapot for a thermametor bc its my mlt and it sits to high in the pot. just wondering if there is any body else that has done this and where to drill the hole? should i put it under the false bottom? that leads me to another question as i do 5 gallon batches but the false bottom sits pretty highso that will leave me with maybe 2 gallons to mash in. so i was wander if i culd use the old ss braid from my cooler mash tun connected to an elbow or would the pump compress it too much?

If this is a direct fired vessel you're never going to get an accurate reading with a horizontally mounted probe. You put it close to the bottom - it's going to read high. Close to the top it'll read low. You have to keep the liquid moving from bottom to top to equalize the temperature (or keep the mash stirring constantly). So what I'm saying is - doesn't matter where you drill it.

Can't really say I understand the second part of the question.

Back