Mega stuck sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshJoshua

Reaction score
Well it took 25+ brews to happen and when it happened it happened bad. Stuck to the point of not coming back. So some quick thinking I thinned the mix and busted out the colander and coffee filter and manually filtered til clear. Now my back hurts. Next time I'll get rice hulls. Curious to see what my SG is after that mess. Got pumpkin and grains all over me.

No good at all. At least your quick action saved a batch, maybe not your back though. Are you using a false bottom or stainless steel braid?

NTXBrauer said:
No good at all. At least your quick action saved a batch, maybe not your back though. Are you using a false bottom or stainless steel braid?

PVC Manifold. It's the pumpkin purée that stuck it, me being a idiot got cocky with this batch.

So for anyone as curious as me about how my SG turned out after a mega stuck sparge. I was aiming for 1.050 and got 1.043. After boil had 5 gallons added .5 gallon to get my standard pre-ferm volume.

Spiced Pumpkin Ale smells delicious, can't wait to get it in the bottle.

Sounds like it is working out for you. You got close to your target SG, with the stuck sparge. You got me thinking pumpkin ale for my brew on deck. :)

Get back and let us know how it turns out.

Back