Mega Pot 1.2 All Grain Brewing System- usage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awvyen

Reaction score
So I just pulled the trigger on the Mega Pot 1.2 All Grain Brewing System from Northern Brewer. It comes with a sparge system, but I'm not much for the time and effort that goes into Sparging. I started out doing BIAB, then moved the batch Sparging in a cooler. I got this system with the intention of utilizing it for no sparge, full volume brewing for 10 gallon batches. I plan on doing a full volume mash in the Mash Tun, then running off into the HLT and using that as my boil kettle. I would like to hear everyone opinion on my plans for this system.

Thanks in advance,

Benny

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/megapot-1-2-all-grain-brewing-system.html

In the past, I've done a full volume recirculating mash with 5 gallon batches in my keggles. Not sure how many gallons you could push this to with a 15 gallon mash tun.

Hey awvyen I'm thinking of this same system. How did you make out using the way you stated in your post. How's the quality of the pots?

I brew with a 15g Megapot 1.2 and 70qt coleman xtreme cooler. I batch sparge and get around 80% mash efficiency. I would say batch sparging assuming everything goes smooth only takes an additional 15-20 minutes. It takes about 5 minutes to run the sparge water into the mashtun, I stir it up quite a bit and let sit for 10 minutes and then another 5 minutes to get it back in the boil kettle.

I would imagine you would need a 10-15g kettle to do BIAB 5g batches, although I'm not sure.

I brew with a 15g Megapot 1.2 and 70qt coleman xtreme cooler. I batch sparge and get around 80% mash efficiency. I would say batch sparging assuming everything goes smooth only takes an additional 15-20 minutes. It takes about 5 minutes to run the sparge water into the mashtun, I stir it up quite a bit and let sit for 10 minutes and then another 5 minutes to get it back in the boil kettle.

I would imagine you would need a 10-15g kettle to do BIAB 5g batches, although I'm not sure.

How is the quality of the Mega Pot 1.2? Looks pretty nice

I have a 15g MegaPot 1.2. It's a nice pot and I'm very happy with it.

I know that NB/Midwest has recently changed the design a little on the 10g pot. The pictures on the websites don't show this, but the logo is now embossed instead of etched and there were some other modifications that appear to be aimed at decreasing manufacturing costs (didn't lower the price, though). I don't know if they did the same with the larger pots. Might be worthwhile to send an email to find out. Even if they did, it's still a pretty nice pot.

How is the quality of the Mega Pot 1.2? Looks pretty nice

It is awesome. Very solid 304 Stainless w/ a TriClad bottom. I got it with the blichman thermometer and ball valve set up. I did drop the lid from a height and got a slight ding in it, but I've been pretty rough on the kettle and It barely has a scratch and has no dents. I brewed 140 gallons in it in 2014. I also like that it is taller than it is wide. It makes the boil off a little more predictable. My friends with the older style megaports that are quite wide have issues with inconsistent boil-off. Although, the widers ones you can get a better whirlpool going, but I don't care too much about that, I prefer consistency in my brew days.

I've added this to it on the inside so I can drain wort from the side of the kettle, as I was concerned about getting every last drop....

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=157

Looking back it probably isn't necessary though, for a 12g of volume the last gallon at the bottom is inevitably trub and break sludge.

Hey awvyen I'm thinking of this same system. How did you make out using the way you stated in your post. How's the quality of the pots?

I ended up not going with my initial method, after I dropped almost $700 on these bad boys I did the math and realized I would not be able to do a full volume mash for a 10 gallon batch, doh! Fortunately I already had a 70 qt Coleman extreme cooler mash tun that I really like.

Quality of the pots is top notch! they are solid and seem durable, no leaks. I'm very pleased and have no regrets (so far) with the purchase. brewing my second 10 gallon batch tomorrow.

This is actually the exact same method I am using with this system. I achieved about 72% efficiency on my first batch, which is the best i have done so far batch sparging. I have my system dialed in with Beersmith now, very exciting!

securedownload.jpg

This is actually the exact same method I am using with this system. I achieved about 72% efficiency on my first batch, which is the best i have done so far batch sparging. I have my system dialed in with Beersmith now, very exciting!

securedownload.jpg

Back