Measuring LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natefrog255

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but how do you measure the amount of LME --- a scale? For example, I bought a container of Briess LME that is 3.3 lbs. Lbs does not equal into fluid ounces, at least not with a simple formula. If I wanted 1.5 lbs of that LME for my recipe, how would you recommend getting that amount? I ended up pouring into a 2 cup cylinder and it came out that the container was just over 4 cups, some probably like 35-36 fluid ounces.

I just felt that there should be an easier way of doing this.

Yes, get a digital scale. I bought a cheap one from Amazon for about $25 that weighs in Grams, Ounces and Pounds. It goes down to tenths of a gram, tenths of an ounce and hundreths of a pound.

When you get it, set it for Pounds, pop a stainless steel mixing bowl on top, Tare it, then weigh out 1.5 lbs. of your LME. Done.

I measure nothing with fluid measurements except starters and the 5 gallon mark on my kettle. Then there is no ballparking.

Weigh the lme bag, pour some out and reweigh. Repeat until you subtract what you need. This way requires nothing extra to clean or rinse out = no hand burning risk.

Back