Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkale

Reaction score
Hey I'm in college and I want to make some basic Mead. I will have a gallon container. Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for how many pounds of honey and how much water to put in. Iv made a more complicates mead Before with a good strain of yeast, but I am just using bread yeast for this one. If anyone has some comments or recommendations let me know. Thanks

A quick recipe
-1 gallon jug of Spring water, not distilled
-2 lbs honey
-10 teabags of choice
-1 pack yeast

Open the spring water, dump 4 cups of water out, pour in the honey, open the teabags, empty the contents into the jug, put the cap back on, shake it like a baby, put the yeast in, set the cap on loosely, lay a piece of cloth over the top, and rubber band it over the neck, put it under the sink, then wait until its clear, strain it using the cloth and have fun. I've done this planty of times, it takes about 1-2 months.

Edit: I don't know how baker's yeast will work in this, so you'll have to let me know how it turns out!

Hey I'm in college and I want to make some basic Mead. I will have a gallon container. Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for how many pounds of honey and how much water to put in. Iv made a more complicates mead Before with a good strain of yeast, but I am just using bread yeast for this one. If anyone has some comments or recommendations let me know. Thanks
Google for Joe's Ancient Orange Spiced mead. It'll give you all you need, info-wise. You should be able to get all the ingredients from the nearest grocery store and it uses bread yeast.

A nice, easy recipe for the new mead maker, as well as for those who don't have all the right kit, conditions, space etc.

regards

fatbloke

Google for Joe's Ancient Orange Spiced mead. It'll give you all you need, info-wise. You should be able to get all the ingredients from the nearest grocery store and it uses bread yeast.

A nice, easy recipe for the new mead maker, as well as for those who don't have all the right kit, conditions, space etc.

regards

fatbloke

I second this. Here's the recipe.

Try my recipe, its the same one I told my brother, who is in the exact same situation as you. He absolutely loves it, and has been using it since Feb. Its a short mead so it doesn't take so long, but still turns out amazing.

Back