Mead with meat in it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugeaud

Reaction score
Could it be good? I mean, I've never tried it, and yeah I admit sounds kind of nasty especially when you put it like "Your drinking mead that has had rotting meat sitting in it for two months", but, would you try it??? What sort of meat would be best? Maybe not beef or chicken or red meat, as those might be just bacterial farms, but what about fish? I really like sushimi, especially salmon. I don't really know. I do know though that in Cambodia a lot of people make rice whiskey in their homes called "Lao-lao" and that it comes plain, but also it comes flavoured. In big glass jars they flavour the whiskey with dead snakes, scorpions, and even turtles, and they are in there for two months, or more. You can get glasses of the stuff or a whole bottle. Lol, if I ever go there I'll have to ask them to take out the animal so I can bring a litre back to Canada! (As I don't think customs would let me transport a dead king cobra or humongous scorpion without a permit!)

why not, people use to brew with mutton.
I've even heard of an ale that uses a whole chicken pounded in a bag til the bones were broken. Then the bag was left in the secondary to soak.
If people could get away with this then I don't see why it would not work with mead.
You would probably get safer results if the meat was cooked somewhat first.
All in all, if you do go through with it, please post your results here as I'm sure everyone would be pleased to hear about it.

Bacon Capsicumel sounds like it could be pretty good. If you were feeling particularly adventurous maybe integrate some tomatoes and anchovies in it as well and make a bloody mary mead.
I'll stop now

Back