Mead too watery - add more honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drinksahoy

Reaction score
So I’m pretty amateur at this. I have a good eye ball approach routine for making cider and wine and I just decided to try to hand at mead again. I did an alright job last year.
15 pounds of honey, and 5.5-6 gallons of water.

This was my simple recipe.

I meant to only do 5 gallons of water but miscalculated the amount of water.

It’s been fermenting in the primary for almost 3 weeks and I just transferred to secondary. It’s clear and done well, but it tastes extremely watery.

It’s sitting at about 10% based on my hydrometer calculations.

My question is, is it too late to add more honey since the fermenting has stopped, and no yeast is appearing to settle in the secondary?

so what is the total volume? 15 lbs of honey mixed in water to make 1 gallon the starting gravity would be 15 * .035 = 1.575 and if the TOTAL volume is 6 gallons then the gravity would be .575 /6 =1 .096 and that is a potential ABV of 12.5% . Two and a half pounds of honey per gallon should not make for a "watery" mead although some yeasts do not produce great mouthfeel. Adding more honey TO SWEETEN (and so you need to first stabilize the mead) will add more viscosity and so be less "watery". Or you might consider adding glycerine..

so what is the total volume? 15 lbs of honey mixed in water to make 1 gallon the starting gravity would be 15 * .035 = 1.575 and if the TOTAL volume is 6 gallons then the gravity would be .575 /6 =1 .096 and that is a potential ABV of 12.5% . Two and a half pounds of honey per gallon should not make for a "watery" mead although some yeasts do not produce great mouthfeel. Adding more honey TO SWEETEN (and so you need to first stabilize the mead) will add more viscosity and so be less "watery". Or you might consider adding glycerine..

Okay so the amount of honey is sufficient for the strength I wanted then.

I’ll jusr stabilize and add honey for taste, thanks!

Back