Mead to methiglin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeer

Reaction score
Hi all!
I have a mead that has been bulk aging (5gal) in the dark for about 3 years now. It's beautifully clear, tastes great but has a smell reminiscent of the rubber carboy top. I was thinking that back sweetening would change it. So I was wondering if I could actually make a solution by boiling some herbs, ginger and adding honey when it cools and turning it into a sort of metheglin style mead? Has anyone done this? Or heard of it?

Cheers, Mike

Let me guess, you used D-47 yeast in this batch? Sounds like fusel alcohols to me, I've had this same problem, always with D-47 yeast. It's NOTORIOUS for producing fusels, especially when fermentation temps are on the high end. The good news is that they'll age out. I once had a plum melomel that smelled & tasted like rubber stopper & it took 4 years for that to age out, but it did age out; all I had to do was wait. Turned out so good, I was wishing I'd made 12 gallons instead of only six. Give that melomel another year or two & you'll be surprised at how much better it is.
Regards, GF.

Hi all!
I have a mead that has been bulk aging (5gal) in the dark for about 3 years now. It's beautifully clear, tastes great but has a smell reminiscent of the rubber carboy top. I was thinking that back sweetening would change it. So I was wondering if I could actually make a solution by boiling some herbs, ginger and adding honey when it cools and turning it into a sort of metheglin style mead? Has anyone done this? Or heard of it?

Cheers, Mike

Yes you can add a spicy sweetened syrup to it, but that may not help the off taste, a little like putting deodorant on smelly pits ... Two smells instead of one.

Yes you can add a spicy sweetened syrup to it, but that may not help the off taste, a little like putting deodorant on smelly pits ... Two smells instead of one.

Lol good way to put it. So maybe I'll do as first suggested and let it age another year or so.

Actually gratus I ised even-1118! I'll let it age longer!

Thanks for the help guys!

Had the same problem with my first batch using ec-1118, aged for a year before tasting, had the rubber taste/smell; bottled sat for another 5 months, can't taste it any more

Had the same problem with my first batch using ec-1118, aged for a year before tasting, had the rubber taste/smell; bottled sat for another 5 months, can't taste it any more

ahh good to know. maybe ill just bottle and hope for the best hehe :)

Back