Mead still seems to be fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whalesniffer

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick question. I've made mead for the first time and it has been fermenting for 6 or 7 weeks. 2 weeks ago I moved it to secondary as there was quite a lot of sediment and it had slowed fermentation. I've kept it at room temp over the last 2 weeks to make sure fermentation had finished.

I want to put it in a cooler ambient temperature to help clear a little more before bottling but when I look at it it still seems to be effervescent. The airlock only bubble very occasionally but it just looks like something is still happening.

I checked the gravity when transferring it to secondary and it was at 24%. I will check again to make sure its finished but wanted to know if it is normal for it to look like its slightly fizzing before I disturb it any more.

Should I wait longer? Is it likely to still be fermenting?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I did a straight water and honey mead least year. It took about 8 months to go crystal clear. I foolishly sole the airlock of one gallon at about 6 months and the next week, broken carboy and loss of a gallon of mead. If you are going to bottle, use the tabs to stop fermentation.

I've done several meads that went on for around 2 months at least. I occasionally broke the yeast cap and de gassed it several times but when it was done and It aged several months it was like champagne. Just let it go till it stops.

Thanks for your replies.

The yeast cap has long gone and the activity is pretty minimal. It's already substantially clearer than 2 weeks ago.

Perhaps it's worth taking another reading and seeing if much had happened.

Thanks again for your replies.

Back