Mead maturation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shrimpboat

Reaction score
Hi, how are ya,

noob here with maby a noob question. ,I was wondering if there its any benefit to long term aging in the carboy rather than bottle when gravity its stable and letting the mead age in the bottle.

Hi, how are ya,

noob here with maby a noob question. ,I was wondering if there its any benefit to long term aging in the carboy rather than bottle when gravity its stable and letting the mead age in the bottle.
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask :D

Bulk ageing, as opposed to bottle ageing, is thought to be marginally more beneficial, mainly because if a batch is in bottles, then it doesn't matter how closely you keep the bottles stacked, there is some margin for differences in how quickly it might age and also some inconsistency in flavour.

Whereas, if it's aged in bulk, it just takes up the space of 1 carboy/demi-john/glass fermenter/etc and that with all the liquid in one place/space, it will age in a more consistent way, so that when you test taste it, and find it to your liking, you then end up with however many bottles of the same tasting stuff. Also, it makes it more convenient for any further modifications you might find necessary i.e. maybe a little acid, maybe a little something to help with mouth feel, or maybe something to sweeten it a bit more, etc etc.

Latest posts

Back